On Wednesday, Mar. 6, South Carolina took on Mississippi State and defeated the Bulldogs 79-72 in conference action. The season series between the two teams is now tied at 1-1. The Gamecocks got a remarkable 38 points (4 Reb 3 Ast) from Brenton Williams, with 18 points coming from three-point range. Lakeem Jackson had nine points and added eight rebounds. Craig Sword got a team-high 20 points and three assists for the Bulldogs. South Carolina (14-16, 4-13 SEC) goes to Vanderbilt (13-15, 7-9 SEC) on Saturday, Mar. 9.
South Carolina Game Notes
- South Carolina started 14-16 during the 2006 and 1999 seasons (since 1996).
- The Gamecocks have won every game this season (7-0) after recording 79 or more total points.
- South Carolina has won every game this season (9-0) when its field goal percentage has been 45.7 percent or better.
- This season South Carolina has won 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Brenton Williams plays 31 minutes or more and 71 percent of the time (10-4) when Lakeem Jackson has four field goals made or more.
- The Gamecocks set a season high for free throws made (28).
- South Carolina has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past six games.
- This is the 18th game at home this season--USC has a 1.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Brenton Williams recorded a team season high in points with 38, field goals made with 10, free throws made with 12, and free throws attempted with 12.
- Brenton Williams accounted for 48.1 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Lakeem Jackson and Brenton Williams) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more points (49) than the starters (30).
- Brenton Williams has led the team in scoring in eight out of 30 games this season.
- Lakeem Jackson has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 30 games this season.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Brenton Williams's career.
- Brenton Williams had career highs with 38 points, 10 field goals made, 12 free throws made, and six three-pointers.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Michael Carrera.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Craig Sword and Jalen Steele) accounted for 51.3 percent of the points.
- Craig Sword has led the team in scoring six times in 29 games this season.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Craig Sword's career.
- This was the eighth foul out of the season for Craig Sword.
- Jalen Steele has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Colin Borchert.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Trivante Bloodman.