On a night when they outscored the Eagles 27-3 from beyond the three-point line, Army easily got past American University 65-44 in the quarterfinals of the Patriot Tournament. The game was never close, with Army leading 39-20 at the half. With the win, the Black Knights remain unbeaten against American University this season at 3-0. The Black Knights got the win with a season-high 12 points and four rebounds from Kevin Ferguson. Ella Ellis also had a solid outing, scoring a game-high 16 points and adding six rebounds. Stephen Lumpkins got 11 points and six rebounds for the Eagles. American University (10-20) finished the regular season fifth in the Patriot with a 5-9 conference record.
Army Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 9:38 left to go.
- Army beat the spread by 11.5 points. That makes the 2nd time this season the Black Knights have beaten the spread.
- This was the fifth blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Army has been on the winning end of 14 blowout games.
- Army has won 87 percent of the time this season (13-2) when its field goal percentage has been 45.1 percent or better.
- Army has won every game this season (5-0) when opponents record nine or fewer free throws made.
- The Black Knights set a season high for blocks (eight).
- The last time Army recorded at least eight blocks was Dec 16, 2006 against SUNY-Purchase.
- Army set a season low for turnovers (nine).
- The Black Knights have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past seven games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--Army has a 12.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Kevin Ferguson recorded a team season high in blocks with five.
- The top two scorers (Ella Ellis and Larry Toomey) accounted for 44.6 percent of the points.
- Ella Ellis has led the team in scoring in 21 out of 30 games this season.
- Kyle Toth has led the team in rebounding in seven out of 30 games this season.
- Ella Ellis has 11 straight double-digit point games.
American University Game Notes
- This was the third blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, AU has been on the losing end of 12 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Eagles losing streak to five games.
- The top two scorers (Tony Wroblicky and Stephen Lumpkins) accounted for 52.2 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Tony Wroblicky and Stephen Lumpkins) accounted for 42.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Tony Wroblicky has led the team in scoring three times and in rebounding seven times in 30 games this season.
- Tony Wroblicky has three straight double-digit point games.