Illinois State vs. Northern Iowa: Full Game Preview
|Illinois State||T Brown 18.1||J Carmichael 9.4||K Keane 3.3|
|Northern Iowa||A James 12.6||J Koch 6.5||D Mitchell 3.5|
Northern Iowa squares off against Illinois State in the quarterfinals of the Missouri Valley Tournament at Scottrade Center on Friday. It gets started at 9:35 p.m. EST and it can be seen on MVC Network. The Panthers defeated the Redbirds 80-72 on Mar. 2 and are 10-2 against them over the past four years.
In an 80-72 triumph over Illinois State on Mar. 2, Anthony James put up 19 points for the Panthers. At 12.6, he paces the team in points per game. For the Redbirds, Tyler Brown put up 28 points and nine rebounds in the 80-72 loss to Northern Iowa on Mar. 2. He leads the team in points with 17.6 per game and steals with 1.6 per game.
Illinois State StatSmack
- Northern Iowa has a better scoring defense (61.4 allowed per game vs. 68.8 allowed per game) than Illinois State this season.
- Northern Iowa has a better conference record than Illinois State this season (11-7 vs. 8-10).
- Northern Iowa has more wins over the last 5 years than Illinois State (129 vs. 121).
- Even computers respect Northern Iowa more. Northern Iowa has a better RPI this season than Illinois State (RPI: No. 80 vs. No. 122).
- The Northern Iowa three-point leader (Marc Sonnen, 82 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Illinois State three-point leader (Tyler Brown, 73 three-pointers).
- A for effort, but Northern Iowa has emerged victorious against Illinois State the last two times they've played.
- Northern Iowa is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Northern Iowa is 213 lbs compared to 200 lbs for Illinois State.
- Northern Iowa has a better record at home than Illinois State this season (13-3 vs. 11-5).
- Seth Tuttle is ranked 8th in the Missouri Valley in rebounds.
- Marc Sonnen is ranked 26th nationally in three-pointers.
- Northern Iowa has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (64.8 percent to 54.3 percent).