North Texas vs. LA Lafayette: Full Game Preview
|North Texas||J Williams 14.0||T Mitchell 8.4||C Jones 4.9|
|LA Lafayette||E Payton 15.8||S Long 10.3||E Payton 5.4|
North Texas meets Louisiana in the first round of the Sun Belt Tournament at Convention Center Court - Hot Springs, AR on Friday. Tipoff is at 7:30 p.m. EST and you can see it on Sun Belt Network. The Mean Green fell to the Ragin Cajuns 105-74 on Jan. 31 and are 5-6 against them over the last four years.
In their last outing, behind 19 points and six rebounds from Alzee Williams, the Mean Green blew out Arkansas State 74-50 on Feb. 28. He is averaging 11.1 points and 3.4 rebounds per game. For the Ragin Cajuns, Elfrid Payton finished with eight points and seven rebounds in the 71-63 win over Louisiana-Monroe on Mar. 2. He contributes a team-leading 15.8 points per game, 5.4 assists per game, and 2.5 steals per game.
- North Texas players are more experienced than Louisiana players (13,980 minutes played vs. 9,212 minutes played).
- North Texas is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on North Texas is 207 lbs compared to 191 lbs for Louisiana.
- The North Texas blocks leader (Tony Mitchell, 83 blocks) has more blocks than the Louisiana blocks leader (Shawn Long, 63 blocks).
- Jordan Williams is ranked 6th in the Sun Belt in points.
- North Texas has an average margin of victory of 9 over Louisiana in 12 wins since 1985.
- P.J. Hardwick is ranked 10th in the Sun Belt in assists.
- North Texas is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on North Texas is 77.2 inches compared to 76.0 inches for Louisiana.
- North Texas has more wins over the last 5 years than Louisiana (116 vs. 80).
- North Texas has a much better overall winning percentage over the last five years (59.6 percent to 42.8 percent).
- The North Texas basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Louisiana (60 percent vs. 44 percent).