Toledo easily took down Northern Illinois 70-46 in conference action in a game where the Huskies shot just 29.8 percent from the floor. With the win, the Rockets remain undefeated against Northern Illinois this season at 2-0. The Rockets got the win with a game-high 16 points and three rebounds from Matt Smith. Dominique Buckley also had a strong outing, scoring 13 points and adding three assists. For the Huskies, Aksel Bolin finished with a team-high 14 points and three rebounds. Toledo (14-13, 9-6 MAC) heads to Eastern Michigan (14-16, 7-8 MAC) on Saturday, Mar. 9.
Toledo Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:40 left to go.
- The last time Toledo started the season 14-13 was 2001.
- Toledo beat the spread by 13 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Rockets have beaten the spread.
- The Rockets have won 77 percent of the time this season (10-3) after recording 16 or more free throws made.
- This season Toledo has won 78 percent of the time (7-2) when Dominique Buckley has 13 points or more, 100 percent of the time (5-0) when Julius Brown has six rebounds or more, and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Rian Pearson has three steals or more.
- The Rockets set season highs for blocks (seven), steals (11), and three-pointers (10).
- The last time Toledo recorded at least 10 three-pointers was Feb 15, 2012 against Ball State.
- The Rockets have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past five games.
- Toledo has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past eight games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--Toledo has a 4.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Matt Smith recorded a team season high in blocks with five.
- The top two scorers (Matt Smith and Dominique Buckley) accounted for 41.4 percent of the points.
- Matt Smith has led the team in scoring in three out of 27 games this season.
- Rian Pearson has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- Matt Smith had a career high with five blocks.
Northern Illinois Game Notes
- This was the fourth blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, NIU has been on the losing end of 27 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Huskies losing streak to nine games.
- Aksel Bolin accounted for 30.4 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Mike Davis and Daveon Balls) accounted for 41.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Aksel Bolin has led the team in scoring six times in 28 games this season.
- Aksel Bolin set a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.