Canisius vs. Iona: Full Game Preview
|Canisius||B Baron 16.6||C Manhertz 8.8||B Baron 5.1|
|Iona||L Jones 23.2||D Laury 10.1||L Jones 3.6|
Canisius battles Iona in the quarterfinals of the MAAC Tournament at MassMutal Center on Saturday. The game gets underway at 4:30 p.m. EST and you can see it on ESPN3.com. The Golden Griffins beat the Gaels 77-74 on Feb. 2 and are 3-7 against them over the last four years.
The Golden Griffins fell 65-61 to Rider on Mar. 2. Harold Washington finished with 14 points in the loss. He tallies 13.7 points per game and also adds 2.5 rebounds per game. For the Gaels, David Laury finished with 13 points and seven rebounds in the 80-61 blowout of Siena on Mar. 3. He leads the team in rebounds with 10.1 per game and blocks with 1.6 per game. Iona will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: turnover percentage at 16.7 and effective field goal percentage at 52.6.
- Canisius is better at defending the three (33.4 percent allowed vs. 37.3 percent allowed) than Iona this season.
- Canisius has come back to win after being down at half against Iona six times since 2004.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Canisius currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (965 to 960) than Iona, per the NCAA.
- Even computers respect Canisius more. Canisius has a better RPI this season than Iona (RPI: No. 110 vs. No. 121).
- Billy Baron is ranked 4th in the MAAC in points, 7th in the MAAC in three-pointers, and 49th nationally in assists.
- Canisius allows fewer rebounds (32.6 allowed per game vs. 36.7 allowed per game) than Iona this season.
- Chris Manhertz is ranked 35th nationally in rebounds and 7th in the MAAC in blocks.
- Jordan Heath is ranked 10th in the MAAC in rebounds and 3rd in the MAAC in blocks.
- Boom! Canisius defeated Iona by 3 points the last time they played (Feb 02, 2013).
- Canisius has an average margin of victory of 9 over Iona in 22 wins since 1985.
- Isaac Sosa is ranked 14th nationally in three-pointers.