Southern Miss 84
(22-8, 10-7 away)
(13-17, 12-6 home)
Venue: Cam Henderson Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, March 05, 2013
||D Davis 35
||J Mills 8
||N Watson 8
||E Pittman 22
||N Spikes 5
||D Kane 7
On Tuesday, Mar. 5, Marshall knocked off Southern Miss 88-84 in conference play. With the win, the Thundering Herd even the season series against Southern Miss at 1-1. The Thundering Herd got the win with a team-high 22 points and three rebounds from Elijah Pittman. D.D. Scarver had 19 points. For the Golden Eagles, Dwayne Davis got a mind-blowing 35 points (5 Reb 4 Ast 4 Stl), including 5-of-7 shooting from three-point range. Marshall (13-17, 6-9 C-USA) heads to East Carolina (16-11, 7-7 C-USA) on Saturday, Mar. 9.
Marshall Game Notes
- Marshall beat the spread by 10 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Thundering Herd have beaten the spread.
- The Thundering Herd have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Marshall is 37-28 in close games.
- This season Marshall has won 75 percent of the time (6-2) when Elijah Pittman has seven field goals made or more.
- The Thundering Herd set a season high for field goal percentage (55.1).
- The last time Marshall had a field goal percentage of 55.1 percent or higher was Feb 12, 2011 against East Carolina.
- The Thundering Herd have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past seven games.
- Marshall has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past nine games.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--Marshall has a 5.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Elijah Pittman and D.D. Scarver) accounted for 46.5 percent of the points.
- Elijah Pittman has led the team in scoring in 13 out of 30 games this season.
- Dennis Tinnon has led the team in rebounding in 18 out of 30 games this season.
- This marks the 10th 20-point game of Elijah Pittman's career.
- Elijah Pittman has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- Nigel Spikes had a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Robert Goff.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- The Golden Eagles have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern Miss is 31-26 in close games.
- Dwayne Davis recorded a team season high in points with 35, field goals made with 13, and field goals attempted with 20.
- Dwayne Davis accounted for 41.6 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jonathan Mills and Daveon Boardingham) accounted for 41.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Dwayne Davis has led the team in scoring nine times in 30 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding 14 times in 30 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Dwayne Davis's career.
- Dwayne Davis has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Dwayne Davis.
- Jonathan Mills has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Jonathan Mills.