St John's 40
(16-13, 4-8 away)
(24) Notre Dame 66
(23-7, 18-2 home)
Venue: Joyce Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, March 05, 2013
||J Sampson 12
||S Pointer 12
||S Pointer 4
||J Grant 21
||J Cooley 13
||J Grant 8
St. John's was outscored 24-3 from beyond the arc by No. 24 Notre Dame and lost big against the Fighting Irish 66-40 in conference play on Tuesday, Mar. 5. St. John's led 26-22 at the half, but was outplayed in the second half as Notre Dame pulled away for good. The Red Storm drop to 2-6 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the loss. Sir`Dominic Pointer put up seven points and 12 rebounds (4 Ast 4 Blk) in the loss. JaKarr Sampson had 12 points and added five rebounds. For the Fighting Irish, Jerian Grant finished with a game-high 21 points (8 Ast 3 Reb 3 Stl), including 5-of-6 shooting from three-point range. This makes three losses in a row for the Red Storm. St. John's (16-13, 8-9 Big East) hosts 15th-ranked Marquette (21-7, 12-4 Big East) on Saturday, Mar. 9.
St. John's Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 3:29 left to go.
- Prior to this game, SJU played 51 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 10-41.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 46.3 percent or better this season, St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 47.1 percent or better this season, St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 16 or more assists this season, St. John's has lost 83 percent of the time (1-5).
- SJU set season lows for field goals made (17), field goal percentage (30.4), and total points (40).
- The Red Storm have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past five games.
- St. John's has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fifth loss of the season where the Red Storm opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (JaKarr Sampson and Phil Greene IV) accounted for 55.0 percent of the points.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer accounted for 35.2 percent of the team's rebounds.
- JaKarr Sampson has led the team in scoring in 13 out of 29 games this season.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 29 games this season.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer recorded the fifth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Sir`Dominic Pointer.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer had career highs with 12 rebounds, 10 defensive rebounds, and four blocks.
- Phil Greene IV has three straight double-digit point games.
- JaKarr Sampson has four straight double-digit point games.
Notre Dame Game Notes
- Jerian Grant accounted for 31.8 percent of the team's points.
- Jack Cooley accounted for 36.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Jerian Grant has led the team in scoring 13 times in 30 games this season.
- Jack Cooley has led the team in rebounding 24 times in 30 games this season.
- Eric Atkins has four straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Jerian Grant's career.
- Jerian Grant has four straight double-digit point games.
- Jerian Grant set a career high with five three-pointers.
- Jack Cooley recorded the 35th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jack Cooley recorded a double-double. It was his 19th this season and 32nd of his career.
|C+||Phil Greene IV||33||10||3||1||0||0||1|