East Carolina 69
(16-11, 5-7 away)
Southern Miss 88
(22-7, 12-1 home)
Venue: Reed Green Coliseum
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, March 02, 2013
||M Kemp 23
||M Kemp 8
||M Paul 8
||N Watson 26
||J Mills 17
||C Jenkins 6
Southern Miss easily got by East Carolina 88-69 in conference play on Saturday, Mar. 2. The first half was competitive, with Southern Miss holding a 36-31 lead, but then the game got out of hand in the second half. With the win, the Golden Eagles stay undefeated against East Carolina this season at 2-0. Jonathan Mills secured a double-double for the Golden Eagles with 15 points and 17 rebounds. Neil Watson was on fire from three-point range, going 7 for 7 to get to a season-high 26 points overall. For the Pirates, Maurice Kemp finished with a team-high 23 points and eight rebounds. Next up for Southern Miss (22-7, 11-3 C-USA) is Marshall (12-17, 5-9 C-USA) on Tuesday, Mar. 5 on the road.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 3:55 left to go.
- The last time USM started the season 22-7 was 2000.
- USM beat the spread by 7.5 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Eagles have won every game this season (6-0) after recording 88 or more total points.
- Southern Miss has won every game this season (10-0) when its field goal percentage has been 52.7 percent or better.
- Southern Miss has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- USM has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record 23 or fewer rebounds.
- USM has won 83 percent of the time this season (15-3) after holding an opponent to under 42.6 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Southern Miss has won 80 percent of the time (8-2) when Dwayne Davis has 17 points or more and 86 percent of the time (6-1) when Jonathan Mills has six field goals made or more.
- The Golden Eagles set a season high for three-point percentage (65.0).
- The last time USM had a three-point percentage of 65.0 percent or higher was Dec 19, 2006 against Reinhardt.
- USM set a season low for steals (two).
- The Golden Eagles have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 10 games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--USM has a 24.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Neil Watson recorded a team season high in three-pointers with seven.
- Jonathan Mills tallied a team season high in rebounds with 17.
- The top two scorers (Neil Watson and Dwayne Davis) accounted for 48.8 percent of the points.
- Jonathan Mills accounted for 40.4 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Neil Watson has led the team in scoring in three out of 29 games this season.
- Jonathan Mills has led the team in rebounding in 13 out of 29 games this season.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Neil Watson's career.
- Neil Watson had career highs with a 100 percent field goal percentage, seven three-pointers, and a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- Jonathan Mills recorded the 12th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jonathan Mills recorded a double-double. It was his third this season and seventh of his career.
- Jonathan Mills had career highs with 17 rebounds and 11 defensive rebounds.
East Carolina Game Notes
- Maurice Kemp accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- Maurice Kemp accounted for 34.7 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Maurice Kemp has led the team in scoring 18 times and in rebounding eight times in 27 games this season.
- This marks the 13th 20-point game of Maurice Kemp's career.
- Akeem Richmond has five straight double-digit point games.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Ty Armstrong.