St John's 59
(16-12, 4-7 away)
(16-12, 12-5 home)
Venue: Dunkin' Donuts Center
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, March 02, 2013
||J Sampson 22
||S Pointer 10
||S Pointer 4
||B Cotton 24
||K Dunn 12
||V Council 5
On Saturday, Mar. 2, St. John's took on Providence and dropped a close one to the Friars 62-59 in conference play. Sir`Dominic Pointer earned a double-double for the Red Storm including 13 points and 10 rebounds. JaKarr Sampson had a team-high 22 points and added six rebounds. Bryce Cotton got a game-high 24 points for the Friars, making 5 of 14 from three-point range. St. John's (16-12, 8-8 Big East) takes on 21st-ranked Notre Dame (22-7, 10-6 Big East) on Tuesday, Mar. 5 on the road.
St. John's Game Notes
- SJU beat the spread by 4.5 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Red Storm have beaten the spread.
- The Red Storm have been unlucky four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, St. John's is 29-17 in close games.
- When the opposition records 15 or more assists this season, St. John's has lost 75 percent of the time (2-6).
- The Red Storm have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fourth loss of the season where the Red Storm opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- JaKarr Sampson accounted for 37.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Sir`Dominic Pointer and Chris Obekpa) accounted for 47.3 percent of the rebounds.
- JaKarr Sampson has led the team in scoring in 12 out of 28 games this season.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer has led the team in rebounding in eight out of 28 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of JaKarr Sampson's career.
- JaKarr Sampson has three straight double-digit point games.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer recorded the fourth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer recorded a double-double. It was the fourth of his career.
Providence Game Notes
- The Friars won this one, but have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Providence is 24-30 in close games.
- Bryce Cotton accounted for 38.7 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Kris Dunn and Kadeem Batts) accounted for 44.6 percent of the rebounds.
- Bryce Cotton has led the team in scoring 16 times in 28 games this season.
- This marks the 25th 20-point game of Bryce Cotton's career.
- Bryce Cotton has 16 straight double-digit point games.
- Kadeem Batts has six straight double-digit point games.
- Vincent Council has three straight double-digit point games.
- Kris Dunn recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
|B-||Phil Greene IV||37||10||2||1||1||0||0|