Despite being huge underdogs on Saturday, Mar. 2, Mississippi State upset Ole Miss 73-67 in SEC action. The Bulldogs tie the season series against Ole Miss at 1-1 with the win. The Bulldogs got the win with a season-high 21 points and seven rebounds from Colin Borchert. Craig Sword had seven points and added nine assists (4 Reb 4 Stl). Murphy Holloway registered a double-double for the Rebels on a game-high 22 points and 19 rebounds. Next up for Mississippi State (8-20, 3-13 SEC) is South Carolina (13-15, 3-12 SEC) on Wednesday, Mar. 6 on the road.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- MState beat the spread by 18 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Bulldogs have beaten the spread.
- The Bulldogs have won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after recording 40 or more rebounds.
- MState has won every game this season (6-0) after holding an opponent to under 33.8 percent field goal percentage.
- The Bulldogs set a season high for free throws made (27).
- The last time MState recorded at least 27 free throws made was Mar 16, 2010 against Jackson State.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--MState has a -3.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Craig Sword recorded a team season high in assists with nine.
- The top two scorers (Colin Borchert and Gavin Ware) accounted for 45.2 percent of the points.
- Colin Borchert has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 28 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Colin Borchert's career.
Ole Miss Game Notes
- Murphy Holloway recorded a team season high in field goals made with 11, rebounds with 19, and offensive rebounds with nine.
- Marshall Henderson tallied a team season high in three pointers attempted with 18.
- Murphy Holloway accounted for 32.8 percent of the team's points.
- Murphy Holloway accounted for 43.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Murphy Holloway has led the team in scoring seven times and in rebounding 20 times in 29 games this season.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Murphy Holloway's career.
- Murphy Holloway has six straight double-digit point games.
- Murphy Holloway recorded a double-double. It was his 12th this season and 37th of his career.
- Murphy Holloway set a career high with nine offensive rebounds.
- Marshall Henderson has 25 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Reginald Buckner.
- This was the second foul out of the season for LaDarius White.