|UTEP||J Washburn 11.5||J Bohannon 6.4||J Streeter 5.0|
|Rice||T Jackson 16.4||T Jackson 5.9||T Jackson 2.5|
Texas-El Paso visits Tutor Fieldhouse on Saturday to take on Rice. The game tips off at 2 p.m. EST. The Miners defeated the Owls 65-53 on Feb. 6 and are 5-2 against them over the past four years.
Rice is in 12th place in the Conference USA and Texas-El Paso is in third place.
The 24 points and 17 rebounds by John Bohannon helped the Miners to a 63-53 victory over Houston on Feb. 27. On top of his scoring average of 11.1 points per game, he delivers 6.4 rebounds per game. For the Owls, Tamir Jackson finished with 20 points and 7 rebounds in the 67-55 loss to Southern Methodist on Feb. 27. With 16.4 points per game and 5.9 rebounds per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Digging into season numbers, Texas-El Paso has the advantage in one key category, rebounding, where the Miners have an edge over the Owls, 31 per game to 25 per game. A key area of strength for Rice is turnover percentage at 18.0 percent, which ranks first in their conference (and 65th nationally).
- John Bohannon is ranked 7th in Conference USA in blocks.
- The Texas-El Paso assist leader (Jacques Streeter, 136 assists) has more assists than the Rice assist leader (Tamir Jackson, 67 assists).
- Texas-El Paso allows fewer rebounds (33.4 allowed per game vs. 37.3 allowed per game) than Rice this season.
- That must sting. Texas-El Paso has blown out Rice by 20 points or more on five occasions since 1999.
- Even computers respect Texas-El Paso more. Texas-El Paso has a better RPI this season than Rice (RPI: No. 93 vs. No. 316).
- Texas-El Paso has a better record at home than Rice this season (12-2 vs. 5-9).
- Texas-El Paso has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last five years (63.4 percent to 35.7 percent).
- Texas-El Paso has a stronger schedule than Rice this season (SOS Rank: No. 64 vs. No. 137).
- Texas-El Paso attacks the glass, with more rebounds (31.3 per game vs. 25.7 per game) than Rice this season.
- Texas-El Paso has an average margin of victory of 15 over Rice in 15 wins since 1996.
- Texas-El Paso is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Texas-El Paso is 200 lbs compared to 190 lbs for Rice.