Sacred Heart 68
(9-19, 3-12 away)
Long Island 70
(16-13, 10-4 home)
Venue: Athletic, Recreation & Wellness Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 28, 2013
||S Gibson 25
||T Falzon 7
||P Gaetano 11
||E Reed 18
||J Olasewere 13
||J Brickman 12
Long Island squared off with Sacred Heart on Thursday, Feb. 28 and edged the Pioneers 70-68 in conference action. The Blackbirds tie the season series against Sacred Heart at 1-1 with the win. Jamal Olasewere picked up a double-double in the Blackbirds win including 16 points and 13 rebounds. E.J. Reed had a team-high 18 points and added five rebounds. For the Pioneers, Shane Gibson got a game-high 25 points, including 5-of-10 shooting from three-point range. Long Island (16-13, 11-6 NEC) welcomes Quinnipiac (15-14, 11-6 NEC) on Saturday, Mar. 2.
Long Island Game Notes
- The last time LIU started the season 16-13 was 2008.
- The Blackbirds have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Long Island is 27-22 in close games.
- The Blackbirds have won 91 percent of the time this season (10-1) after recording 38 or more rebounds.
- LIU has won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) when opponents record 68 or fewer total points.
- This season Long Island has won 71 percent of the time (10-4) when C.J. Garner has 15 points or more, 75 percent of the time (6-2) when Jamal Olasewere plays 34 minutes or more, and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Troy Joseph has five rebounds or more.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--LIU has a 9.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded a team season high in defensive rebounds with 12.
- The top two scorers (E.J. Reed and Jamal Olasewere) accounted for 48.5 percent of the points.
- Jamal Olasewere accounted for 34.2 percent of the team's rebounds.
- E.J. Reed has led the team in scoring in three out of 29 games this season.
- Jamal Olasewere has led the team in rebounding in 21 out of 29 games this season.
- This game was the 20th double-digit assist game of Jason Brickman's career.
- C.J. Garner has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded the 30th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jamal Olasewere recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 28th of his career.
- Jamal Olasewere had a career high with 12 defensive rebounds.
Sacred Heart Game Notes
- The Pioneers have lost eight times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Sacred Heart is 27-34 in close games.
- This loss extended the Pioneers losing streak to six games.
- Shane Gibson accounted for 36.7 percent of the team's points.
- Shane Gibson has led the team in scoring 20 times in 28 games this season.
- Tevin Falzon has led the team in rebounding three times in 28 games this season.
- This marks the 52nd 20-point game of Shane Gibson's career.
- Shane Gibson has 17 straight double-digit point games.
- This game was the 11th double-digit assist game of Phil Gaetano's career.
- Louis Montes has eight straight double-digit point games.
|C+||M. Abdel Latif||18||2||5||0||0||1||1|