In a game where they turned the ball over only nine times, Jackson State came out on top against Alabama State 70-65 in overtime. With the win, the Tigers even the season series against Alabama State at 1-1. Willie Readus led the Tigers and put up 12 points and nine rebounds. Christian Williams had a game-high 17 points and added five rebounds. For the Hornets, Ryan Watts got 11 points and four rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, Mar. 2 when Jackson State (9-17, 8-9 SWAC) welcomes Alabama A&M (10-18, 6-11 SWAC).
Jackson State Game Notes
- Jackson State started 9-17 during the 2002 and 2001 seasons (since 1996).
- Jackson State has played in two overtime games this season. Over the last five seasons, the Tigers have played in 11 overtime games with a record of 6-5.
- The Tigers have won three close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Jackson State is 27-21 in close games.
- The Tigers have won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) after recording 11 or more steals.
- JSU set season lows for blocks (zero), three-pointers (two), and three-point percentage (11.1).
- The Tigers have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past five games.
- Jackson State has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past seven games.
- This is the third win of the season where the Tigers came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the eighth game at home this season--JSU has a 5.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Christian Williams and Jeff Stubbs) accounted for 45.7 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Willie Readus and Derrell Taylor) accounted for 48.5 percent of the rebounds.
- Christian Williams has led the team in scoring in eight out of 26 games this season.
- Willie Readus has led the team in rebounding in seven out of 26 games this season.
- Christian Williams has three straight double-digit point games.
Alabama State Game Notes
- The Hornets have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Alabama State is 24-29 in close games.
- This loss extended the Hornets losing streak to three games.
- The top two scorers (Josh Freelove and Shawntez Patterson) accounted for 43.0 percent of the points.
- Josh Freelove has led the team in scoring 16 times in 30 games this season.
- Ryan Watts has three straight double-digit point games.
- Josh Freelove has six straight double-digit point games.
- Shawntez Patterson set a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Phillip Crawford.