On Thursday, Feb. 28, Western Illinois escaped Missouri-Kansas City 53-50 in conference play. Western Illinois was down 39-21 heading into the locker room, but turned things around in the second half and secured the victory. The Leathernecks stay undefeated against Missouri-Kansas City this season at 2-0. The Leathernecks got the win with 13 points (6 Ast 4 Stl) from Ceola Clark III in 40 minutes. Jack Houpt got nine points and added six rebounds. Mason Wedel finished with two points and five rebounds (4 Ast 4 Stl) for the Kangaroos. Next up for Western Illinois (20-7, 12-3 Summit League) is South Dakota (10-18, 5-10 Summit League) on Saturday, Mar. 2 on their home court.
Western Illinois Game Notes
- The Leathernecks have won six close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Western Illinois is 27-28 in close games.
- Western Illinois has won 86 percent of the time this season (12-2) when its three-point percentage has been 40.0 percent or better.
- The Leathernecks have won 85 percent of the time this season (11-2) after recording six or more three-pointers.
- WIU has won 86 percent of the time this season (12-2) when opponents record 50 or fewer total points.
- This season Western Illinois has won 83 percent of the time (10-2) when Ceola Clark III has 13 points or more, 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Jack Houpt plays 38 minutes or more, and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Adam Link has six rebounds or more.
- WIU set a season low for rebounds (20).
- Western Illinois has been outshot by their opponents in free throw percentage for the past four games.
- This is the eighth win of the season where the Leathernecks came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--WIU has a 12.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Michael Ochereobia and Ceola Clark III) accounted for 50.9 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jack Houpt and Adam Link) accounted for 60.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Ceola Clark III has four straight double-digit point games.
Missouri-Kansas City Game Notes
- The Kangaroos have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Missouri-Kansas City is 29-33 in close games.
- This loss extended the Kangaroos losing streak to four games.
- Estan Tyler accounted for 34.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Mason Wedel and Fred Chatmon) accounted for 40.9 percent of the rebounds.
- Estan Tyler has led the team in scoring 10 times in 30 games this season.
- Estan Tyler has five straight double-digit point games.
- Thomas Staton set a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.