(16) Ohio State 63
(21-7, 5-5 away)
(13-16, 8-10 home)
Venue: Welsh-Ryan Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 28, 2013
||L Smith Jr. 24
||D Thomas 7
||S Scott 8
||T Demps 14
||K Abrahamson 9
||A Olah 4
On an evening when they turned the ball over 15 times, Northwestern lost at home against No. 16 Ohio State 63-53 in conference play. With the loss, the Wildcats are now 2-7 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Wildcats were paced by Dave Sobolewski, who put up 13 points and four rebounds. Tre Demps got 14 points and added three rebounds. Lenzelle Smith Jr. finished with a season-high 24 points (6 Reb 3 Stl) for the Buckeyes, making 6 of 11 from three-point range. Next up for Northwestern (13-16, 4-12 Big Ten) is Penn State (9-18, 1-14 Big Ten) on Thursday, Mar. 7 at home.
Northwestern Game Notes
- The last time NU started the season 13-16 was 2006.
- NU beat the spread by 0.5 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Wildcats have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, NU played 48 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 8-40.
- Northwestern has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-9) after recording 53 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition commits six or fewer turnovers this season, Northwestern has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 42.9 percent or better this season, Northwestern has lost 83 percent of the time (3-15).
- When the opposition records 63 or more total points this season, Northwestern has lost 78 percent of the time (4-14).
- NU set a season low for blocks (zero).
- Northwestern has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the 18th game at home this season--NU has a -0.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Tre Demps and Dave Sobolewski) accounted for 50.9 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Kale Abrahamson and Alex Olah) accounted for 46.6 percent of the rebounds.
- Tre Demps has led the team in scoring in three out of 29 games this season.
- Reggie Hearn had a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.
Ohio State Game Notes
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. accounted for 38.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Deshaun Thomas and Lenzelle Smith Jr.) accounted for 43.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Deshaun Thomas has led the team in rebounding 13 times in 28 games this season.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Lenzelle Smith Jr.'s career.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. set a career high with six three-pointers.
- Deshaun Thomas has 28 straight double-digit point games.
- Sam Thompson set a career high with four blocks.
|A+||L. Smith Jr.||38||24||6||0||3||0||0|
|-||A. Della Valle||3||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|-||J. Montgomery III||6||0||0||0||0||0||0|