|Purdue||D Hale 13||A Hammons 9||R Johnson 6|
|Iowa||A White 18||A White 9||R Devyn Marble 4|
On Wednesday, Feb. 27, Iowa turned the ball over just nine times and beat Purdue 58-48 in Big Ten action.
It wasn't always pretty for either team, as this low-scoring affair saw neither side shoot better than 37 percent from the floor, and no scorer finish with more than 18 points. The Hawkeyes were looking to avenge an overtime loss in their previous clash with the Boilermakers, and did so in fairly convincing fashion.
Despite their struggles from the field, Iowa never once trailed in this clash, and managed to get a solid Big Ten win despite lacking starting guard Mike Gesell, who missed this game with a foot injury. They maintained control of the ball, which has been an issue this season for the Hawkeyes, turning it over just 9 times while locking down Purdue from the field.
The win was a vital one for the Hawkeyes postseason hopes, as they must end the season on a high note and make a run in the Big Ten tournament to have a real chance at making the NCAA tournament.
The Hawkeyes got the win with a game-high 18 points and nine rebounds from Aaron White. Roy Devyn Marble had 18 points and added four assists. For the Boilermakers, D.J. Byrd finished with 11 points and four rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, Mar. 2 when Iowa (18-10, 7-8 Big Ten) goes to first-ranked Indiana (24-4, 12-3 Big Ten).
Iowa Game Notes
- Iowa started 18-10 during the 2004 and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- Iowa beat the spread by one points. That makes the 13th time this season the Hawkeyes have beaten the spread.
- The Hawkeyes have won 88 percent of the time this season (7-1) after recording 21 or more free throws made.
- Iowa has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) when its three-point percentage has been 38.5 percent or better.
- Iowa has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record 19 or fewer field goals made.
- Iowa has won every game this season (8-0) after holding an opponent to under 21.4 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Iowa has won 78 percent of the time (7-2) when Roy Devyn Marble has 18 points or more.
- Iowa set a season low for total points (58).
- The Hawkeyes have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the 16th game at home this season--Iowa has a 16.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Roy Devyn Marble accounted for 31.0 percent of the team's points.
- Roy Devyn Marble has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 28 games this season.
- Aaron White has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 28 games this season.
- Aaron White has three straight double-digit point games.
- Roy Devyn Marble has five straight double-digit point games.
Purdue Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Donnie Hale and A.J. Hammons) accounted for 52.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (A.J. Hammons and Travis Carroll) accounted for 40.5 percent of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (22) than the starters (12).
- The bench recorded more points (27) than the starters (21).
- A.J. Hammons has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 28 games this season.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Ronnie Johnson.