Baylor vs. West Virginia: Full Game Preview
|Baylor||P Jackson 19.2||I Austin 9.0||P Jackson 6.4|
|West Virginia||A Murray 9.2||A Murray 6.4||J Staten 3.2|
Baylor visits WVU Coliseum on Wednesday to take on West Virginia. It gets started at 8 p.m. EST and you can catch it on Big 12 Network. The Bears defeated the Mountaineers 80-60 on Feb. 13 and are 2-0 against them over the past four years.
Baylor is in sixth place in the conference and needs to hold off seventh place West Virginia.
In their last matchup on Feb. 23, Pierre Jackson put up 28 points and 8 assists for the Bears in a loss to Oklahoma, 90-76. He leads the team with 19.2 points per game and 6.4 assists per game. For the Mountaineers, Aaric Murray finished with 11 points in the 73-57 loss to Oklahoma State on Feb. 23. He contributes a team-leading 9.2 points per game, 6.4 rebounds per game, and 1.5 blocks per game.
In terms of team stats, Baylor has an advantage in a single key area, scoring, where the Bears have an edge over the Mountaineers, 75 points per game to 65 points per game. West Virginia will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: free throw rate at 42.7 percent and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.4 percent.
West Virginia StatSmack
- Baylor has a potent offense, scoring more points (75.3 per game vs. 65.8 per game) than West Virginia this season.
- Cory Jefferson is ranked 4th in the Big 12 in rebounds and 2nd in the Big 12 in blocks.
- The Baylor blocks leader (Cory Jefferson, 53 blocks) has more blocks than the West Virginia blocks leader (Aaric Murray, 38 blocks).
- Baylor is a better three-point shooting team (34.7 percent vs. 31.0 percent) than West Virginia this season.
- Baylor has a better overall winning percentage over the last five years (67.8 percent to 64.5 percent).
- The Baylor three-point leader (Pierre Jackson, 65 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the West Virginia three-point leader (Eron Harris, 36 three-pointers).
- The Baylor rebounding leader (Isaiah Austin, 224 rebounds) has more rebounds than the West Virginia rebounding leader (Aaric Murray, 167 rebounds).
- Pierre Jackson is ranked 34th nationally in points, 2nd in the Big 12 in three-pointers, 15th nationally in assists, and 5th in the Big 12 in steals.
- The Baylor assist leader (Pierre Jackson, 167 assists) has more assists than the West Virginia assist leader (Juwan Staten, 84 assists).
- Since 1998, Baylor has recruited more Top 50 high school players than West Virginia (seven vs. three).
- A.J. Walton is ranked 7th in the Big 12 in assists and 3rd in the Big 12 in steals.