Texas Southern 70
(15-14, 7-11 away)
Alabama State 50
(9-20, 7-6 home)
Venue: Dunn-Oliver Acadome
8:30PM ET / 5:30PM PT, February 25, 2013
||F Sturdivant 22
||F Sturdivant 13
||R Penn 9
||J Freelove 18
||P Crawford 10
||D McDaniel 4
On Monday, Feb. 25, Alabama State took on Texas Southern and was crushed by the Tigers 70-50 in conference play. The Hornets stay winless against Texas Southern this season at 0-2. Phillip Crawford got 14 points and 10 rebounds for the Hornets, earning a double-double. Josh Freelove scored a team-high 18 points. Fred Sturdivant recorded a double-double for the Tigers with a game-high 22 points and 13 rebounds. Alabama State (9-20, 7-9 SWAC) gets Jackson State (8-16, 7-8 SWAC) on the road on Thursday, Feb. 28.
Alabama State Game Notes
- The Hornets have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-5) after having a field goal percentage of 33.9 percent or worse.
- Alabama State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after recording two or fewer steals.
- When the opposition records 70 or more total points this season, Alabama State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-13).
- When the opposition records 29 or more field goals made this season, Alabama State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-7).
- When the opposition records 47 or more rebounds this season, Alabama State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- ASU set season lows for free throws made (three) and steals (two).
- The Hornets have turned the ball over more than their opponents in the past eight games.
- Alabama State has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past four games.
- This marks the 20th loss for the season. Alabama State has four 20-loss seasons since 1981.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--ASU has a 1.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Josh Freelove accounted for 36.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Phillip Crawford and Ryan Watts) accounted for 43.2 percent of the rebounds.
- Josh Freelove has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 29 games this season.
- Phillip Crawford has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 29 games this season.
- Josh Freelove has five straight double-digit point games.
- Phillip Crawford recorded the ninth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Phillip Crawford recorded a double-double. It was his fifth this season and ninth of his career.
Texas Southern Game Notes
- Fred Sturdivant accounted for 31.4 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Fred Sturdivant and Aaron Clayborn) accounted for 44.6 percent of the rebounds.
- Fred Sturdivant has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 19 times in 29 games this season.
- Ray Penn has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Fred Sturdivant's career.
- Fred Sturdivant has four straight double-digit point games.
- Fred Sturdivant recorded a double-double. It was his 11th this season and 13th of his career.
- Fred Sturdivant set career highs with 22 points and 11 field goals made.
- Madarious Gibbs set a career high with a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- Aaron Clayborn has three straight double-digit point games.