(12) Syracuse 71
(22-6, 6-5 away)
(22) Marquette 74
(20-7, 15-1 home)
Venue: BMO Harris Bradley Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 25, 2013
||C Fair 20
||B Keita 8
||B Triche 8
||D Gardner 26
||D Gardner 8
||J Wilson 7
No. 22 Marquette held on to beat No. 12 Syracuse 74-71 in Big East play on Monday, Feb. 25. The Golden Eagles now have a record of 3-3 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Davante Gardner played brilliantly for the Golden Eagles and got a career-high 26 points and eight rebounds. Jamil Wilson had 12 points and added seven assists. For the Orange, C.J. Fair got a team-high 20 points and seven rebounds. Marquette (20-7, 11-4 Big East) takes on 21st-ranked Notre Dame (22-6, 10-5 Big East) on Saturday, Mar. 2 at home.
Marquette Game Notes
- Marquette beat the spread by 4.5 points. That makes the 12th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Eagles have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Marquette is 30-29 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Marquette played 57 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 21-36.
- The Golden Eagles have won every game this season (11-0) after recording 74 or more total points.
- Marquette has won 92 percent of the time this season (11-1) after committing 12 or fewer turnovers.
- Marquette has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record four or fewer steals.
- This season Marquette has won 78 percent of the time (7-2) when Junior Cadougan has 12 points or more and 85 percent of the time (11-2) when Jamil Wilson has five rebounds or more.
- The Golden Eagles have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past four games.
- Marquette has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past six games.
- This is the first win of the season where the Golden Eagles came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--Marquette has a 11.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Davante Gardner accounted for 35.1 percent of the team's points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (17) than the starters (13).
- The bench recorded more points (55) than the starters (19).
- Davante Gardner has led the team in scoring seven times and in rebounding 7 times in 27 games this season.
- Junior Cadougan had a career high with four steals.
- Jamil Wilson had a career high with seven assists.
- This marks the second 20-point game of Davante Gardner's career.
- Davante Gardner had career highs with 26 points and a 100 percent field goal percentage.
Syracuse Game Notes
- The Orange have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Syracuse is 29-15 in close games.
- The top two scorers (C.J. Fair and James Southerland) accounted for 49.2 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Baye Keita and C.J. Fair) accounted for 55.5 percent of the rebounds.
- C.J. Fair has led the team in scoring 12 times in 28 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of C.J. Fair's career.
- C.J. Fair has 18 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Brandon Triche.
- Brandon Triche set a career high with eight assists.
- James Southerland has six straight double-digit point games.
|B||S. Taylor Jr.||16||4||4||0||3||0||1|