Purdue easily beat Northwestern 74-43 in conference play in a game where the Wildcats shot just 28.6 percent from the floor. Purdue took a commanding 40-25 lead at halftime and never looked back. With the win, the Boilermakers even the season series against Northwestern at 1-1. Terone Johnson played well for the Boilermakers and got a game-high 22 points and six rebounds. D.J. Byrd had 13 points and added five assists. For the Wildcats, Alex Marcotullio finished with seven points and four assists. Next up for Purdue (13-13, 6-7 Big Ten) is Iowa (17-10, 6-8 Big Ten) on Wednesday, Feb. 27 on the road.
Purdue Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 9:07 left to go.
- Purdue beat the spread by 24.5 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Boilermakers have beaten the spread.
- This was the fifth blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Purdue has been on the winning end of 42 blowout games.
- The Boilermakers have won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) after recording seven or more three-pointers.
- Purdue has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record 43 or fewer total points.
- Purdue has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) after holding an opponent to under 22.2 percent three-point percentage.
- The Boilermakers set a season high for field goal percentage (52.9).
- The last time Purdue had a field goal percentage of 52.9 percent or higher was Mar 08, 2012 against Nebraska.
- The Boilermakers have turned the ball over more than their opponents in the past seven games.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--Purdue has a 8.0 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Terone Johnson and D.J. Byrd) accounted for 47.2 percent of the points.
- Terone Johnson has led the team in scoring in 14 out of 27 games this season.
- Rapheal Davis has led the team in rebounding in four out of 27 games this season.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Terone Johnson's career.
- Terone Johnson has four straight double-digit point games.
- Terone Johnson had career highs with nine field goals made and four three-pointers.
Northwestern Game Notes
- This was the seventh blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, NU has been on the losing end of 23 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Wildcats losing streak to five games.
- Reggie Hearn has led the team in rebounding five times in 28 games this season.