San Diego vs. Gonzaga: Full Game Preview
|San Diego||J Dee 14.6||C Manresa 6.3||C Anderson 5.5|
|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 17.7||E Harris 7.4||K Pangos 3.3|
On Saturday, No. 3 Gonzaga plays host to San Diego at McCarthey Athletic Center. The game tips off at 7 p.m. EST and you can see it on ROOT-NW, TWC or CSN-CA. The Bulldogs defeated the Toreros 65-63 on Feb. 2 and are 9-0 against them over the past four years.
Gonzaga is currently in first place in the West Coast and San Diego is in fifth.
In their last matchup on Feb. 20, Elias Harris put up 17 points and 9 rebounds as the Bulldogs ran it up on Santa Clara 85-42. He tallies 14.5 points per game in addition to a team-best 7.4 rebounds per game. The Toreros were defeated by Portland 70-67 on Feb. 21 despite 7 points and 6 assists from Christopher Anderson. With 5.5 assists per game and 2.2 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Gonzaga has a statistical advantage over San Diego in one significant area, scoring, where the Bulldogs have an edge over the Toreros, 78 points per game to 64 points per game.
San Diego StatSmack
- David Stockton is ranked 10th in the West Coast in assists and 4th in the West Coast in steals.
- Since 1998, Gonzaga has recruited more Top 50 high school players than San Diego (one vs. zero).
- Kevin Pangos is ranked 4th in the West Coast in three-pointers, 9th in the West Coast in assists, and 9th in the West Coast in steals.
- Gonzaga allows fewer rebounds (29.5 allowed per game vs. 33.6 allowed per game) than San Diego this season.
- Elias Harris is ranked 10th in the West Coast in points and 5th in the West Coast in rebounds.
- Gonzaga has been the favorite 34 out of the last 34 times.
- Gonzaga has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than San Diego ($40,345 vs. $50,600).
- Gonzaga is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Gonzaga is 78.0 inches compared to 76.9 inches for San Diego.
- Gonzaga players are more experienced than San Diego players (14,861 minutes played vs. 14,304 minutes played).
- Gonzaga has a better record on the road than San Diego this season (9-1 vs. 4-8).
- AP voters think more highly of Gonzaga and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than San Diego (144 vs. one).
|C||Guy Landry Edi||12||3||2||0||0||0||1|