Illinois lost in front of the home crowd against No. 7 Michigan 71-58 in conference play on Sunday, Feb. 24. With the loss, the Fighting Illini drop to 4-5 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Fighting Illini were led by Nnanna Egwu, who put up nine points and five rebounds. D.J. Richardson scored a team-high 10 points. For the Wolverines, Trey Burke got a game-high 26 points and eight assists. Illinois (20-9, 7-8 Big Ten) gets Nebraska (13-14, 4-10 Big Ten) at home on Saturday, Mar. 2.
Illinois Game Notes
- The last time Illini started the season 20-9 was 2006.
- Prior to this game, Illini played 55 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 18-37.
- Illinois has lost 80 percent of the time this season (1-4) after recording seven or fewer assists.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 51.0 percent or better this season, Illinois has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- Illini set a season low for steals (three).
- This is the third loss of the season where the Fighting Illini opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- D.J. Richardson has led the team in scoring in eight out of 29 games this season.
- Nnanna Egwu has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 29 games this season.
- D.J. Richardson has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Joseph Bertrand.
Michigan Game Notes
- Trey Burke accounted for 36.6 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Tim Hardaway Jr and Jordan Morgan) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Trey Burke has led the team in scoring 17 times in 27 games this season.
- Tim Hardaway Jr has led the team in rebounding six times in 27 games this season.
- This marks the 14th 20-point game of Trey Burke's career.
- Trey Burke has 27 straight double-digit point games.