St. John's was thumped by No. 20 Pittsburgh 63-47 in conference play on Sunday, Feb. 24. The game remained close at halftime, as St. John's trailed just 30-27, but Pittsburgh took control in second half and won easily. The Red Storm are now 2-5 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the loss. JaKarr Sampson put up a team-high 14 points and six rebounds for the Red Storm. Sir`Dominic Pointer scored six points and added eight rebounds. For the Panthers, Tray Woodall got a season-high 25 points and four rebounds. St. John's (16-11, 8-7 Big East) gets Providence (15-12, 7-8 Big East) on the road on Saturday, Mar. 2.
St. John's Game Notes
- Prior to this game, SJU played 50 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 10-40.
- When the opposition commits 10 or fewer turnovers this season, St. John's has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 43.1 percent or better this season, St. John's has lost 78 percent of the time (2-7).
- SJU set season lows for assists (seven), field goals made (18), field goal percentage (31.6), and total points (47).
- The top two scorers (JaKarr Sampson and Phil Greene IV) accounted for 53.1 percent of the points.
- JaKarr Sampson has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 27 games this season.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer has led the team in rebounding in seven out of 27 games this season.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Sir`Dominic Pointer.
- Sir`Dominic Pointer had a career high with eight defensive rebounds.
Pittsburgh Game Notes
- Tray Woodall recorded a team season high in points with 25.
- Tray Woodall accounted for 39.6 percent of the team's points.
- Tray Woodall has led the team in scoring eight times in 28 games this season.
- Lamar Patterson has led the team in rebounding seven times in 28 games this season.
- This marks the sixth 20-point game of Tray Woodall's career.
- Tray Woodall has seven straight double-digit point games.