Southern Miss vs. Memphis: Full Game Preview
|Southern Miss||D Davis 14.4||J Mills 7.0||N Watson 4.9|
|Memphis||J Jackson 13.8||D Stephens 6.8||J Jackson 4.7|
No. 21 Memphis plays host to Southern Miss at FedEx Forum on Saturday. Tipoff is at 1 p.m. EST and it can be seen on FSN, MSG, ROOT-NW, PIT. The Tigers beat the Golden Eagles 89-76 on Feb. 9 and are 9-1 against them over the last four years.
Southern Miss is in second place in the C-USA and nipping at the heels of Memphis in first place.
The 22 points and 8 rebounds by Adonis Thomas helped the Tigers to an 81-74 victory over Houston on Feb. 20. He contributes 4.5 rebounds per game in addition to his 11.8 points per game. For the Golden Eagles, Daveon Boardingham finished with 8 points and 8 rebounds in the 45-39 win over Texas-El Paso on Feb. 20. He averages 7.8 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.1 blocks per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Southern Miss is strong in the following categories: offensive rebounding percentage at 41.4 percent and effective field goal percentage at 53.8 percent.
Southern Miss StatSmack
- Shaq Goodwin is ranked 8th in C-USA in blocks.
- Memphis has an average margin of victory of 13 over Southern Miss in 46 wins since 1980.
- Memphis has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (79.9 percent to 56.8 percent).
- Memphis has a better record on the road than Southern Miss this season (7-0 vs. 9-4).
- Joe Jackson is ranked 5th in C-USA in assists and 4th in C-USA in steals.
- Memphis has a stronger schedule than Southern Miss this season (SOS Rank: No. 94 vs. No. 108).
- Obviously, AP Voters agree that Memphis is superior to Southern Miss (Latest AP Poll: No. 21 vs. Not Ranked).
- The Memphis scoring leader (Joe Jackson, 357 points) has more points than the Southern Miss scoring leader (Dwayne Davis, 332 points).
- Memphis has more wins over the last 5 years than Southern Miss (169 vs. 122).
- That must sting. Memphis has blown out Southern Miss by 20 points or more on five occasions since 2001.
- Memphis has been the favorite 29 out of the last 37 times.