Brigham Young vs. Saint Mary's: Full Game Preview
|Brigham Young||T Haws 20.9||B Davies 7.7||M Carlino 4.4|
|Saint Mary's||M Dellavedova 16.0||M Young 5.5||M Dellavedova 6.4|
Brigham Young visits McKeon Pavilion on Thursday to take on Saint Mary's. Tipoff occurs at 11:10 p.m. EST and you can catch it on ESPN 2. The Cougars fell to the Gaels 70-69 on Jan. 16 and are 1-3 against them over the last four years.
Brigham Young is in third place in the conference and just behind second place Saint Mary's with a chance to close in.
In a 70-68 triumph over Utah State on Feb. 19, Tyler Haws put up 27 points for the Cougars. With 20.9 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. In a 61-50 victory over Loyola Marymount on Feb. 16, Stephen Holt put up 16 points for the Gaels. He is averaging 11.7 points and 5.4 rebounds per game. Saint Mary's sits near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: defensive rebounding percentage at 75.8 percent, effective field goal percentage at 55.9 percent, and offensive rebounding percentage at 36.4 percent.
Saint Mary's StatSmack
- Matt Carlino is ranked 5th in the West Coast in assists and 30th nationally in steals.
- Brigham Young has a stronger schedule than Saint Mary's this season (SOS Rank: No. 87 vs. No. 133).
- Brandon Davies is ranked 16th nationally in points, 3rd in the West Coast in rebounds, 7th in the West Coast in steals, and 4th in the West Coast in blocks.
- AP voters think more highly of Brigham Young and ranked them in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Saint Mary's (65 vs. 40).
- Since 1998, Brigham Young has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Saint Mary's (one vs. zero).
- Brigham Young has an average margin of victory of 16 over Saint Mary's in four wins since 1980.
- Brigham Young has a better overall winning percentage over the last 30 years (64.3 percent to 56.1 percent).
- Brigham Young is better at defending the three (33.4 percent allowed vs. 38.9 percent allowed) than Saint Mary's this season.
- Tyler Haws is ranked 7th nationally in points and 9th in the West Coast in steals.
- Brigham Young has more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Saint Mary's (eight vs. four).
- Over the past 10 years, Brigham Young has had more players drafted by the NBA than Saint Mary's (four vs. one).
|C||J. Walker III||22||7||4||1||1||0||1|