On Saturday, Feb. 23, Southern Utah took on Cal State Northridge and won by a slim margin against the Matadors 73-72. Jayson Cheesman got 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Thunderbirds, earning a double-double. Damon Heuir had 18 points and added seven rebounds. For the Matadors, Stephen Maxwell finished with a team-high 20 points and nine rebounds. Next up for Southern Utah (11-15, 8-8 Big Sky) is Montana State (10-14, 7-9 Big Sky) on Thursday, Feb. 28 on their home court.
Southern Utah Game Notes
- The last time SUU started the season 11-15 was 2001.
- SUU beat the spread by four points. That makes the 13th time this season the Thunderbirds have beaten the spread.
- The Thunderbirds have won three close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Southern Utah is 24-27 in close games.
- The Thunderbirds have won 89 percent of the time this season (8-1) after recording 73 or more total points.
- Southern Utah has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fourth win of the season where the Thunderbirds came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--SUU has a 6.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Jackson Stevenett and Damon Heuir) accounted for 53.4 percent of the points.
- Jayson Cheesman accounted for 32.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Jackson Stevenett has led the team in scoring in 14 out of 26 games this season.
- Jayson Cheesman has led the team in rebounding in 12 out of 26 games this season.
- This marks the 19th 20-point game of Jackson Stevenett's career.
- Jackson Stevenett has five straight 20+ point games.
- Jayson Cheesman recorded the fourth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jayson Cheesman recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Jaren Jeffery.
Cal State Northridge Game Notes
- The Matadors have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Cal State Northridge is 22-26 in close games.
- This loss extended the Matadors losing streak to four games.
- The top two scorers (Stephen Maxwell and Brandon Perry) accounted for 44.4 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Stephen Maxwell and Brandon Perry) accounted for 41.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Stephen Maxwell has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 14 times in 28 games this season.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Stephen Maxwell's career.