On Saturday, Feb. 23, Loyola Marymount took on Cal Poly and lost by a slim margin to the Mustangs 63-60. Anthony Ireland put up a team-high 19 points and four assists for the Lions. Ashley Hamilton had seven points and added 10 rebounds. For the Mustangs, Brian Bennett got a season-high 23 points and four rebounds. The Lions have currently lost 12 games straight. Next up for Loyola Marymount (8-20, 1-13 West Coast) is Santa Clara (20-9, 8-6 West Coast) on Thursday, Feb. 28 on the road.
Loyola Marymount Game Notes
- LMU beat the spread by 5.5 points. That makes the 9th time this season the Lions have beaten the spread.
- The Lions have been unlucky eight times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Loyola Marymount is 27-26 in close games.
- Loyola Marymount has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-12) after recording 60 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 17 or more free throws made this season, Loyola Marymount has lost 100 percent of the time (0-8).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 47.8 percent or better this season, Loyola Marymount has lost 82 percent of the time (2-9).
- When the opposition records 14 or more assists this season, Loyola Marymount has lost 81 percent of the time (3-13).
- LMU set a season low for steals (two).
- Loyola Marymount has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 15 games.
- This is the sixth loss of the season where the Lions opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- Anthony Ireland accounted for 31.6 percent of the team's points.
- Ashley Hamilton accounted for 37.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Anthony Ireland has led the team in scoring in 24 out of 28 games this season.
- Ashley Hamilton has led the team in rebounding in nine out of 28 games this season.
- Anthony Ireland has 14 straight double-digit point games.
- Ashley Hamilton recorded the seventh double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Bruce English.
Cal Poly Game Notes
- The Mustangs won this one, but have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Cal Poly is 27-30 in close games.
- Brian Bennett accounted for 36.5 percent of the team's points.
- Brian Bennett has led the team in rebounding five times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Brian Bennett's career.
- Jamal Johnson set a career high with eight assists.