William & Mary 58
(12-15, 4-11 away)
George Mason 60
(17-11, 8-5 home)
Venue: Patriot Center
4:00PM ET / 1:00PM PT, February 23, 2013
|William & Mary
|William & Mary
||M Thornton 22
||K Gaillard 7
||K Gaillard 3
||P Holloway 15
||J Arledge 9
||B Allen 4
On Saturday, Feb. 23, William & Mary took on George Mason and let one slip away to the Patriots 60-58 in conference play. With the loss, the Tribe stay winless against George Mason this season at 0-2. Marcus Thornton paced the Tribe and put up a game-high 22 points, shooting 6 of 12 from three-point range. Kyle Gaillard had seven points and added seven rebounds. Bryon Allen got 14 points and six rebounds (4 Ast 3 Stl) for the Patriots. William & Mary (12-14, 6-9 CAA) takes on North Carolina-Wilmington (10-17, 5-10 CAA) on Wednesday, Feb. 27 on the road.
William & Mary Game Notes
- William & Mary started 12-15 during the 2002 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- W&M beat the spread by seven points. That makes the 10th time this season the Tribe have beaten the spread.
- The Tribe have been unlucky five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, William & Mary is 30-31 in close games.
- William & Mary has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-6) after recording 58 or fewer total points.
- The Tribe have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-4) after having a field goal percentage of 37.5 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 40 or more rebounds this season, William & Mary has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records nine or more steals this season, William & Mary has lost 75 percent of the time (1-3).
- The Tribe have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past five games.
- This is the fifth loss of the season where the Tribe opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- Marcus Thornton accounted for 37.9 percent of the team's points.
- Marcus Thornton has led the team in scoring in 16 out of 27 games this season.
- Kyle Gaillard has led the team in rebounding in eight out of 27 games this season.
- This marks the 15th 20-point game of Marcus Thornton's career.
- Marcus Thornton has 27 straight double-digit point games.
George Mason Game Notes
- The Patriots won this one, but have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, George Mason is 34-31 in close games.
- Corey Edwards recorded a team season high in steals with four.
- The top two scorers (Patrick Holloway and Bryon Allen) accounted for 48.3 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jonathan Arledge and Sherrod Wright) accounted for 42.5 percent of the rebounds.
- Patrick Holloway has led the team in scoring three times in 28 games this season.
- Jonathan Arledge has led the team in rebounding six times in 28 games this season.