East Carolina 72
(16-10, 5-6 away)
Southern Methodist 69
(13-14, 7-6 home)
Venue: Moody Coliseum
3:00PM ET / 12:00PM PT, February 23, 2013
||A Richmond 29
||R Sampson 11
||P Williams 5
||R Manuel 18
||J Jones 11
||N Russell 9
On an afternoon when they scored 39 points from three-point territory, East Carolina escaped Southern Methodist 72-69 in C-USA action. It looked like this one could get ugly, with Southern Methodist up 32-21 at the half, but East Carolina was able to make a comeback and secure the win in the second half. Akeem Richmond had an impressive game for the Pirates and got a career-high 29 points, sinking 9 of 14 from three-point range. Paris Roberts-Campbell also had a strong outing, scoring 11 points and adding six rebounds. For the Mustangs, Nick Russell got 16 points and nine assists. The next game will be on Saturday, Mar. 2 when East Carolina (16-10, 7-6 C-USA) heads to Southern Miss (21-6, 10-2 C-USA).
East Carolina Game Notes
- ECU beat the spread by seven points. That makes the 11th time this season the Pirates have beaten the spread.
- The Pirates have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, East Carolina is 21-25 in close games.
- The Pirates have won 83 percent of the time this season (10-2) after recording 17 or more free throws made.
- ECU has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) when opponents record 10 or fewer free throws made.
- This season East Carolina has won 71 percent of the time (10-4) when Maurice Kemp has four free throws made or more.
- The Pirates set a season high for blocks (nine).
- The last time ECU recorded at least nine blocks was Dec 31, 2011 against Virginia-Wise.
- The Pirates have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past four games.
- This is the fourth win of the season where the Pirates came back after being down at halftime.
- Akeem Richmond recorded a team season high in three-pointers with nine.
- Akeem Richmond accounted for 40.2 percent of the team's points.
- Robert Sampson accounted for 32.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Akeem Richmond has led the team in scoring in five out of 26 games this season.
- Robert Sampson has led the team in rebounding in 14 out of 26 games this season.
- This marks the sixth 20-point game of Akeem Richmond's career.
- Akeem Richmond has four straight double-digit point games.
- Akeem Richmond had career highs with 29 points, nine field goals made, and nine three-pointers.
- Robert Sampson recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Robert Sampson had a career high with four blocks.
Southern Methodist Game Notes
- The Mustangs have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern Methodist is 24-35 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Ryan Manuel and Jalen Jones) accounted for 52.1 percent of the points.
- Jalen Jones accounted for 30.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Ryan Manuel has led the team in scoring five times in 27 games this season.
- Jalen Jones has led the team in rebounding 15 times in 27 games this season.
- Jalen Jones recorded the ninth double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jalen Jones has 12 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Jalen Jones.
- Jalen Jones recorded a double-double. It was the eighth of his career.
- Ryan Manuel has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Ryan Manuel set a career high with seven field goals made.
- Nick Russell has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- Nick Russell set a career high with nine assists.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Shawn Williams.