(11-15, 4-7 away)
Mississippi State 31
(7-19, 6-8 home)
Venue: Humphrey Coliseum
1:45PM ET / 10:45AM PT, February 23, 2013
||K Bright 15
||D Parker 13
||D Parker 6
||J Steele 9
||F Thomas 3
||C Sword 2
Vanderbilt trounced Mississippi State 72-31 in conference play on a day when the Bulldogs mustered only 17.5 percent from the floor. This one was all Vanderbilt from the opening tip, as they jumped out to a 37-17 halftime lead and then cruised to victory in the second half. The Commodores were led by Dai-Jon Parker, who put up five points and 13 rebounds. Rod Odom had 13 points and added five rebounds. For the Bulldogs, Fred Thomas got six points and three rebounds. Vanderbilt (11-15, 5-9 SEC) hosts Georgia (11-14, 5-7 SEC) on Wednesday, Feb. 27.
Vanderbilt Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 11:32 left to go.
- Vandy beat the spread by 37.5 points. That makes the 14th time this season the Commodores have beaten the spread.
- This was the third blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Vandy has been on the winning end of 31 blowout games.
- Vanderbilt has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) when its field goal percentage has been 45.9 percent or better.
- The Commodores have won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) after recording 72 or more total points.
- The Commodores set season highs for field goals made (28) and rebounds (51).
- The last time Vandy recorded at least 51 rebounds was Nov 24, 2010 against Grambling State.
- Vandy set a season low for steals (one).
- Dai-Jon Parker recorded a team season high in rebounds with 13.
- The top two rebounders (Dai-Jon Parker and Sheldon Jeter) accounted for 43.1 percent of the rebounds.
- Dai-Jon Parker has led the team in rebounding in three out of 26 games this season.
- Dai-Jon Parker recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Dai-Jon Parker had career highs with 13 rebounds, 12 defensive rebounds, and six assists.
- Rod Odom has three straight double-digit point games.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- This was the eighth blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, MState has been on the losing end of 14 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Bulldogs losing streak to 12 games.
- The top two scorers (Jalen Steele and Fred Thomas) accounted for 48.3 percent of the points.
- Jalen Steele has led the team in scoring five times in 26 games this season.
- Colin Borchert has led the team in rebounding eight times in 26 games this season.