Grambling State vs. UAPB: Full Game Preview
|Grambling State||T Rose 14.0||B Purvis 4.9||D Copeland 3.2|
|UAPB||T Kennedy 13.6||D Haynes 6.9||T Hammond 4.3|
Grambling State visits K.L. Johnson Complex on Saturday to take on Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Tipoff occurs at 8:30 p.m. EST and you can see it on SWAC TV. The Tigers lost to the Golden Lions 79-67 on Jan. 26 and are 2-7 against them over the last four years.
Grambling State is in 10th place in the conference, Arkansas-Pine Bluff is in third place.
In spite of 9 points and 5 rebounds from Demetri Wheeler, the Tigers came up short 77-38 against Jackson State on Feb. 16. He is putting up 4.2 points per game while also averaging 4.5 rebounds per game. For the Golden Lions, Mitchell Anderson finished with 24 points and 8 rebounds in the 76-47 blowout of Prairie View A&M on Feb. 18. He is averaging 7.4 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.1 blocks per game.
Analyzing the differences between the teams, Arkansas-Pine Bluff has an edge in one important area, scoring, where the Golden Lions have the upper hand over the Tigers, 61 points per game to 48 points per game.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff StatSmack
- Grambling State is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Grambling State is 213 lbs compared to 203 lbs for Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
- Grambling State has come back to win after being down at half against Arkansas-Pine Bluff three times since 2000.
- David Copeland is ranked 9th in the SWAC in assists.
- The Grambling State scoring leader (Terry Rose, 322 points) has more points than the Arkansas-Pine Bluff scoring leader (Lazabian Jackson, 321 points).
- Peter "PJ" Roberson is ranked 8th in the SWAC in blocks.
- Terry Rose is ranked 32nd nationally in three-pointers.
- That must sting. Grambling State has blown out Arkansas-Pine Bluff by 20 points or more on four occasions since 2002.
- Grambling State has an average margin of victory of 10 over Arkansas-Pine Bluff in 23 wins since 1982.
- The Grambling State three-point leader (Terry Rose, 71 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Arkansas-Pine Bluff three-point leader (Lazabian Jackson, 60 three-pointers).