(6) Duke 88
(23-3, 6-3 away)
Virginia Tech 56
(11-15, 9-8 home)
Venue: Cassell Coliseum
9:07PM ET / 6:07PM PT, February 21, 2013
||S Curry 22
||M Plumlee 12
||T Thornton 5
||E Green 22
||C Barksdale 8
||E Green 3
In a game where the Blue Devils scored 36 points from three-point territory, Virginia Tech was smoked by No. 6 Duke 88-56 in conference play. Virginia Tech dug a hole early, down 48-28 at the break, and was never able to get back in the game. With the loss, the Hokies drop to 1-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Hokies got a good performance from C.J. Barksdale, who put up a career-high 14 points and eight rebounds. Erick Green picked up his fifth straight game with 22 points or more, scoring a team-high 22 points on 57.1 percent shooting in 32 minutes. Erick Green had a team-high 22 points and added three assists. Mason Plumlee registered a double-double for the Blue Devils with 13 points and 12 rebounds (5 Ast 3 Blk). Next up for Virginia Tech (11-15, 2-11 ACC) is Florida State (14-12, 6-7 ACC) on Sunday, Feb. 24 at home.
Virginia Tech Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 10:16 left to go.
- The last time VT started the season 11-15 was 2002.
- Prior to this game, VT played 33 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 7-26.
- Virginia Tech has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-5) after recording 56 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 88 or more total points this season, Virginia Tech has lost 100 percent of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition records 16 or more free throws made this season, Virginia Tech has lost 100 percent of the time (0-10).
- When the opposition records 15 or more assists this season, Virginia Tech has lost 75 percent of the time (3-9).
- VT set season lows for rebounds (25), three-pointers (one), and three-point percentage (6.3).
- Virginia Tech has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past seven games.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--VT has a 1.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Erick Green accounted for 39.2 percent of the team's points.
- C.J. Barksdale accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Erick Green has led the team in scoring in 24 out of 26 games this season.
- C.J. Barksdale has led the team in rebounding in six out of 26 games this season.
- This marks the 31st 20-point game of Erick Green's career.
- Erick Green has five straight 20+ point games.
- C.J. Barksdale had career highs with 14 points, six field goals made, and a 100 percent field goal percentage.
Duke Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Seth Curry and Rasheed Sulaimon) accounted for 44.3 percent of the points.
- Mason Plumlee accounted for 35.2 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Seth Curry has led the team in scoring 11 times in 26 games this season.
- Mason Plumlee has led the team in rebounding 23 times in 26 games this season.
- Mason Plumlee recorded the 46th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mason Plumlee recorded a double-double. It was his 15th this season and 33rd of his career.
- This marks the 39th 20-point game of Seth Curry's career.
- Seth Curry has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Rasheed Sulaimon has three straight double-digit point games.
|C-||J. van Zegeren||7||3||1||0||0||0||0|