Penn State faced off with Illinois on Thursday, Feb. 21 and was beaten at home by the Fighting Illini 64-59 in conference play. The Nittany Lions got a good performance from Jermaine Marshall, who got a game-high 20 points and four rebounds. Sasa Borovnjak also had a strong game, scoring 17 points and adding six rebounds. For the Fighting Illini, D.J. Richardson finished with a team-high 18 points and three rebounds. The Nittany Lions are on a five-game losing streak. Penn State (8-18, 0-14 Big Ten) welcomes seventh-ranked Michigan (22-4, 9-4 Big Ten) on Wednesday, Feb. 27.
Penn State Game Notes
- PSU beat the spread by 10 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Nittany Lions have beaten the spread.
- The Nittany Lions have been unlucky three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Penn State is 34-26 in close games.
- Penn State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-9) after recording 34 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition records 23 or more free throws made this season, Penn State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-6).
- When the opposition commits 11 or fewer turnovers this season, Penn State has lost 85 percent of the time (2-11).
- The Nittany Lions set a season high for three-pointers (eight).
- Penn State has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past 14 games.
- Jermaine Marshall accounted for 33.8 percent of the team's points.
- Jermaine Marshall has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 26 games this season.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Jermaine Marshall's career.
- Jermaine Marshall has four straight double-digit point games.
- Jermaine Marshall had a career high with four three-pointers.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Ross Travis.
- Sasa Borovnjak has three straight double-digit point games.
- Sasa Borovnjak had career highs with 17 points and seven field goals made.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Kevin Montminy.
Illinois Game Notes
- The top two scorers (D.J. Richardson and Brandon Paul) accounted for 53.1 percent of the points.
- D.J. Richardson has led the team in scoring six times in 28 games this season.
- D.J. Richardson has nine straight double-digit point games.