South Alabama vs. Middle Tenn State: Full Game Preview
|South Alabama||A Rubit 19.6||A Rubit 10.7||D Conner 2.6|
|Middle Tenn State||M Knight 12.7||M Knight 5.8||B Massey Jr 3.1|
On Thursday, Middle Tennessee State welcomes South Alabama at Murphy Center. It gets started at 8 p.m. EST and you can catch it on ESPN3.com. The Blue Raiders defeated the Jaguars 60-56 on Jan. 5 and are 7-2 against them over the past four years.
South Alabama is in second place in the conference and will be trying to close the gap with first place Middle Tennessee State.
In a 66-61 win over Arkansas-Little Rock on Feb. 16, Marcos Knight put up 15 points and 5 rebounds for the Blue Raiders. A crucial part of the team, he leads the way with 12.7 points per game and 5.8 rebounds per game. For the Jaguars, Augustine Rubit finished with 34 points and 12 rebounds in the 88-64 blowout of Louisiana on Feb. 14. With 19.6 points per game and 10.7 rebounds per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. South Alabama will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: free throw rate at 46.3 percent and offensive rebounding percentage at 36.8 percent.
South Alabama StatSmack
- Middle Tennessee State has a better overall winning percentage over the last five years (65.2 percent to 55.5 percent).
- Middle Tennessee State is a better shooting team (46.1 percent vs. 41.5 percent) than South Alabama this season.
- The Middle Tennessee State steals leader (Bruce Massey Jr, 40 steals) has more steals than the South Alabama steals leader (Antoine Allen, 33 steals).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Middle Tennessee State currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (961 to 916) than South Alabama, per the NCAA.
- Middle Tennessee State is better under pressure, and has defeated South Alabama in four out of the last five games decided by five points or fewer.
- It's only wins and losses, but Middle Tennessee State has a better overall record than South Alabama this season (23-4 vs. 15-9).
- The Middle Tennessee State assist leader (Bruce Massey Jr, 83 assists) has more assists than the South Alabama assist leader (Dre Conner, 58 assists).
- Shawn Jones is ranked 10th in the Sun Belt in blocks.
- Middle Tennessee State has an average margin of victory of 10 over South Alabama in 16 wins since 1980.
- Middle Tennessee State is a better three-point shooting team (37.6 percent vs. 33.7 percent) than South Alabama this season.
|D||B. Stevens II||20||4||1||1||1||0||1|
|C||Bruce Massey Jr||22||6||3||3||1||0||2|
|C||K. Hammonds II||22||6||3||2||1||0||1|
|D+||J. Gallman Jr||12||4||1||1||0||0||1|
|D+||Jason Jones Jr||10||4||2||1||0||0||1|