(20-8, 10-3 away)
Western Carolina 65
(11-17, 6-5 home)
Venue: Ramsey Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 20, 2013
||T Wiedeman 16
||T Wiedeman 10
||A Lawrence 3
||T Sumler 24
||T King 7
||T King 3
Western Carolina faced off with College of Charleston on Wednesday, Feb. 20 and was narrowly defeated by the Cougars 67-65 in conference play. The Catamounts got a good performance from Trey Sumler, who put up a game-high 24 points and five rebounds. Tawaski King had nine points and added seven rebounds (4 Blk 3 Ast). Anthony Thomas finished with eight points and seven rebounds for the Cougars. Western Carolina (11-17, 8-8 SoCon) takes on Coastal Carolina (13-12, 8-6 Big South) on Saturday, Feb. 23 at home.
Western Carolina Game Notes
- The last time WCU started the season 11-17 was 2011.
- WCU beat the spread by 0.5 points. That makes the 12th time this season the Catamounts have beaten the spread.
- The Catamounts have been unlucky seven times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Western Carolina is 27-30 in close games.
- Western Carolina has lost 82 percent of the time this season (2-9) after recording 65 or fewer total points.
- The Catamounts have lost 78 percent of the time this season (2-7) after having a three-point percentage of 26.3 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 42 or more rebounds this season, Western Carolina has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records five or more blocks this season, Western Carolina has lost 86 percent of the time (1-6).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 43.1 percent or better this season, Western Carolina has lost 82 percent of the time (3-14).
- The Catamounts have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past five games.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--WCU has a 3.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Trey Sumler accounted for 36.9 percent of the team's points.
- Trey Sumler has led the team in scoring in 18 out of 28 games this season.
- Tawaski King has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 28 games this season.
- This marks the 17th 20-point game of Trey Sumler's career.
- Trey Sumler has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Trey Sumler had a career high with nine field goals made.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Tom Tankelewicz.
- Tawaski King had a career high with four blocks.
College of Charleston Game Notes
- The Cougars won this one, but have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, College of Charleston is 40-17 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Trent Wiedeman and Adjehi Baru) accounted for 43.2 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Trent Wiedeman and Adjehi Baru) accounted for 45.2 percent of the rebounds.
- Trent Wiedeman has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding four times in 28 games this season.
- Trent Wiedeman recorded the 20th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Trent Wiedeman recorded a double-double. It was his third this season and 16th of his career.