In a low-scoring affair, Sam Houston State got beat at home by Stephen F. Austin 50-44 in conference play. The Bearkats were paced by James Thomas, who put up a team-high 14 points and eight rebounds. Nathaniel Mason also had a strong outing, scoring 14 points and adding five rebounds. For the Lumberjacks, Hal Bateman finished with a game-high 15 points and eight assists. Sam Houston State (14-12, 7-7 SLC) gets Eastern Washington (8-18, 6-10 Big Sky) on the road on Saturday, Feb. 23.
Sam Houston State Game Notes
- Sam Houston State started 14-12 during the 2010 and 2001 seasons (since 1996).
- Sam Houston State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-4) after recording 16 or fewer field goals made.
- The Bearkats have lost 83 percent of the time this season (1-5) after having a field goal percentage of 33.3 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 15 or more assists this season, Sam Houston State has lost 78 percent of the time (2-7).
- The Bearkats have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--SHSU has a 12.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- James Thomas accounted for 31.8 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (James Thomas and Nathaniel Mason) accounted for 40.6 percent of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more points (23) than the starters (21).
- James Thomas has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 10 times in 26 games this season.
- James Thomas has three straight double-digit point games.
Stephen F. Austin Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Hal Bateman and Taylor Smith) accounted for 56.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Taylor Smith and Hal Bateman) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Taylor Smith has led the team in rebounding 20 times in 25 games this season.
- Taylor Smith recorded the 13th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Taylor Smith has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- Taylor Smith recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 12th of his career.