Virginia faced off with No. 2 Miami (FL) on Tuesday, Feb. 19 and got beat at home by the Hurricanes 54-50 in conference play. The Cavaliers now have a record of 1-1 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Joe Harris put up a game-high 16 points and seven rebounds in the Cavaliers loss. Jontel Evans had five points and added seven assists. For the Hurricanes, Shane Larkin got a team-high 11 points and six assists. Next up for Virginia (18-8, 8-5 ACC) is Georgia Tech (14-11, 4-9 ACC) on Sunday, Feb. 24 on their home court.
Virginia Game Notes
- Virginia started 18-8 during the 2006 and 1999 seasons (since 1996).
- UVA beat the spread by four points. That makes the 16th time this season the Cavaliers have beaten the spread.
- The Cavaliers have been unlucky five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Virginia is 21-31 in close games.
- Prior to this game, UVA played 30 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 8-22.
- The Cavaliers have lost 80 percent of the time this season (1-4) after having a field goal percentage of 38.5 percent or worse.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 46.8 percent or better this season, Virginia has lost 100 percent of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition records 22 or more field goals made this season, Virginia has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- When the opposition commits eight or fewer turnovers this season, Virginia has lost 75 percent of the time (1-3).
- UVA set a season low for free throws made (five).
- The Cavaliers have outshot their opponents in three-point percentage for the past six games.
- Joe Harris accounted for 32.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Akil Mitchell and Joe Harris) accounted for 46.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Joe Harris has led the team in scoring in 18 out of 26 games this season.
- Akil Mitchell has led the team in rebounding in 19 out of 26 games this season.
- Joe Harris has seven straight double-digit point games.
Miami (FL) Game Notes
- The top two rebounders (Julian Gamble and Reggie Johnson) accounted for 43.7 percent of the rebounds.
- Shane Larkin has led the team in scoring eight times in 25 games this season.
- Julian Gamble has led the team in rebounding five times in 25 games this season.
- Julian Gamble set a career high with four blocks.