Brigham Young squared off with Utah State on Tuesday, Feb. 19 and escaped the Aggies 70-68. The Cougars were led by Tyler Haws, who put up a game-high 27 points and two rebounds. Matt Carlino had nine points and added five assists. Spencer Butterfield registered a double-double for the Aggies on a team-high 21 points and 14 rebounds. Brigham Young (20-8, 9-4 West Coast) goes to Saint Mary's (22-5, 11-2 West Coast) on Thursday, Feb. 21.
Brigham Young Game Notes
- Brigham Young started 20-8 during the 2005 and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- The Cougars have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Brigham Young is 19-14 in close games.
- BYU has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record five or fewer three-pointers.
- BYU has won every game this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 23.8 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Brigham Young has won 70 percent of the time (19-8) when Brandon Davies has 10 points or more, 73 percent of the time (8-3) when Matt Carlino plays 32 minutes or more, and 78 percent of the time (14-4) when Tyler Haws has seven field goals made or more.
- The Cougars set a season high for free throws made (28).
- The last time BYU recorded at least 28 free throws made was Feb 04, 2012 against Portland.
- BYU set a season low for field goals made (19).
- Brigham Young has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past nine games.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--BYU has a 15.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Tyler Haws accounted for 38.5 percent of the team's points.
- Tyler Haws has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 28 games this season.
- This marks the 23rd 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Tyler Haws had a career high with 12 free throws made.
- Brandon Davies has 12 straight double-digit point games.
Utah State Game Notes
- The Aggies have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Utah State is 26-20 in close games.
- Spencer Butterfield accounted for 30.8 percent of the team's points.
- Spencer Butterfield accounted for 35.8 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Spencer Butterfield has led the team in scoring three times and in rebounding eight times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Spencer Butterfield's career.
- Spencer Butterfield has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Spencer Butterfield recorded a double-double. It was the sixth of his career.
- Jarred Shaw has seven straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fourth foul out of the season for Jarred Shaw.