Mississippi Valley State 57
(4-21, 1-16 away)
Texas Southern 73
(13-14, 8-3 home)
Venue: Health & PE Arena
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, February 18, 2013
|Mississippi Valley State
|Mississippi Valley State
||D Usher 25
||D Usher 7
||D Usher 3
||F Sturdivant 21
||F Sturdivant 17
||R Penn 7
On Monday, Feb. 18, Mississippi Valley State took on Texas Southern and was thumped by the Tigers 73-57 in conference play. This one was over at the half, with Texas Southern up 35-16. Davon Usher got his third straight game with 25 points or more for the Delta Devils, scoring a game-high 25 points (7 Reb 3 Ast) in 29 minutes. Blake Ralling scored seven points and added three rebounds. Fred Sturdivant recorded a double-double for the Tigers on a team-high 21 points and 17 rebounds. Next up for Mississippi Valley State (4-20, 4-10 SWAC) is Jackson State (7-16, 6-8 SWAC) on Saturday, Feb. 23 on their home court.
Mississippi Valley State Game Notes
- The last time MVSU started the season 4-21 was 2008.
- Mississippi Valley State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-10) after recording 57 or fewer total points.
- The Delta Devils have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-8) after having a field goal percentage of 32.2 percent or worse.
- Mississippi Valley State has lost 82 percent of the time this season (2-9) after committing 16 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 49.0 percent or better this season, Mississippi Valley State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-11).
- When the opposition records 20 or more free throws made this season, Mississippi Valley State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-6).
- When the opposition records 14 or more assists this season, Mississippi Valley State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-13).
- The Delta Devils have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past four games.
- Mississippi Valley State has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past nine games.
- Davon Usher accounted for 43.8 percent of the team's points.
- Davon Usher has led the team in scoring 18 times and in rebounding 7 times in 25 games this season.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Matt Smith.
- This marks the ninth 20-point game of Davon Usher's career.
- Davon Usher has four straight 20+ point games.
Texas Southern Game Notes
- Fred Sturdivant recorded a team season high in rebounds with 17, offensive rebounds with seven, blocks with eight, and free throws attempted with 18.
- The top two scorers (Fred Sturdivant and Ray Penn) accounted for 47.9 percent of the points.
- Fred Sturdivant accounted for 43.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Fred Sturdivant has led the team in scoring three times and in rebounding 18 times in 27 games this season.
- Ray Penn has three straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Fred Sturdivant's career.
- Fred Sturdivant recorded a double-double. It was his 10th this season and 12th of his career.
- Fred Sturdivant set career highs with 17 rebounds, seven offensive rebounds, and eight blocks.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Lawrence Johnson-Danner.