Fairfield just barely slipped by Iona 66-64 in conference action on Monday, Feb. 18. The season series between the two teams is now tied at 1-1. The Stags got the win with a team-high 17 points and six rebounds from Derek Needham. Justin Jenkins had 12 points. Lamont Jones got a game-high 29 points and two rebounds for the Gaels. Fairfield (17-11, 9-7 MAAC) gets Albany (19-8, 8-5 America East) on their home court on Saturday, Feb. 23.
Fairfield Game Notes
- The last time Fairfield started the season 17-11 was 2011.
- The Stags have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Fairfield is 31-27 in close games.
- The Stags have won every game this season (6-0) after recording eight or more three-pointers.
- Fairfield has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) when its three-point percentage has been 36.4 percent or better.
- Fairfield has won 86 percent of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record 27 or fewer rebounds.
- Fairfield has won 77 percent of the time this season (10-3) after holding an opponent to under 28.6 percent three-point percentage.
- This season Fairfield has won 85 percent of the time (11-2) when Maurice Barrow has 10 points or more and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Colin Nickerson plays 33 minutes or more.
- Fairfield set a season low for steals (two).
- The Stags have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past eight games.
- This is the second win of the season where the Stags came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--Fairfield has a 9.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Derek Needham and Justin Jenkins) accounted for 43.9 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Amadou Sidibe and Colin Nickerson) accounted for 43.5 percent of the rebounds.
- Derek Needham has led the team in scoring in 16 out of 28 games this season.
- Amadou Sidibe has led the team in rebounding in 13 out of 28 games this season.
Iona Game Notes
- The Gaels have lost 10 times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Iona is 25-38 in close games.
- Lamont Jones accounted for 45.3 percent of the team's points.
- Lamont Jones has led the team in scoring 19 times in 27 games this season.
- David Laury has led the team in rebounding 14 times in 27 games this season.
- Sean Armand has three straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 34th 20-point game of Lamont Jones's career.
- Lamont Jones has 10 straight double-digit point games.