Norfolk State 62
(17-10, 9-9 away)
(10-14, 5-5 home)
Venue: Hampton Convocation Center (VA)
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 18, 2013
||M Hawkins 18
||R Gaston 9
||P Williams 3
||R Mercado 12
||D Maxwell 10
||A Austin 3
On Monday, Feb. 18, Norfolk State took on Hampton and narrowly beat the Pirates 62-59 in conference action. With the win, the Spartans stay undefeated against Hampton this season at 2-0. Rashid Gaston led the Spartans and got a season-high 17 points and nine rebounds. Pendarvis Williams scored 11 points and added three assists. Du`Vaughn Maxwell recorded a double-double for the Pirates on a team-high 12 points and 10 rebounds. Norfolk State (17-10, 12-0 MEAC) gets Delaware State (11-13, 6-4 MEAC) on the road on Saturday, Feb. 23.
Norfolk State Game Notes
- The win over Hampton extended the Norfolk State winning streak to 11 games.
- The Spartans have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Norfolk State is 31-26 in close games.
- The Spartans have won 78 percent of the time this season (14-4) after recording 24 or more field goals made.
- NSU has won every game this season (7-0) when opponents record 59 or fewer total points.
- This season Norfolk State has won 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Malcom Hawkins has 18 points or more and 80 percent of the time (4-1) when Rashid Gaston has nine rebounds or more.
- NSU set a season low for steals (four).
- The Spartans have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past six games.
- Brandon Goode recorded a team season high in blocks with five.
- The top two scorers (Malcom Hawkins and Rashid Gaston) accounted for 56.4 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Rashid Gaston and Brandon Goode) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Malcom Hawkins has led the team in scoring in nine out of 27 games this season.
- Rashid Gaston has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 27 games this season.
- Malcom Hawkins has three straight double-digit point games.
Hampton Game Notes
- The Pirates have lost six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Hampton is 35-35 in close games.
- Du`Vaughn Maxwell recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with eight.
- The top two scorers (Du`Vaughn Maxwell and Ramon Mercado) accounted for 40.6 percent of the points.
- Du`Vaughn Maxwell has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 11 times in 24 games this season.
- Du`Vaughn Maxwell recorded the 10th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Du`Vaughn Maxwell has five straight double-digit point games.
- Du`Vaughn Maxwell recorded a double-double. It was his seventh this season and ninth of his career.
- Du`Vaughn Maxwell set a career high with eight offensive rebounds.
- Ke`Ron Brown has three straight double-digit point games.