Wichita State 68
(22-5, 7-4 away)
Illinois State 67
(16-11, 11-6 home)
Venue: Redbird Arena
8:05PM ET / 5:05PM PT, February 17, 2013
||M Armstead 18
||D Williams 7
||M Armstead 6
||T Brown 17
||J Carmichael 9
||T Brown 3
On Sunday, Feb. 17, Wichita State took on Illinois State and just barely got by the Redbirds 68-67 in conference action. With the win, the Shockers remain unbeaten against Illinois State this season at 2-0. Malcolm Armstead played brilliantly for the Shockers and put up a game-high 18 points and six rebounds. Demetric Williams also had a strong showing, scoring 10 points and adding seven rebounds. Tyler Brown got a team-high 17 points and seven rebounds for the Redbirds. The next game will be on Tuesday, Feb. 19 when Wichita State (22-5, 11-4 The Valley) goes to Indiana State (16-10, 9-6 The Valley).
Wichita State Game Notes
- The last time WSU started the season 22-5 was 2010.
- The win over Illinois State extended the Wichita State winning streak to three games.
- WSU beat the spread by three points. That makes the 14th time this season the Shockers have beaten the spread.
- The Shockers have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Wichita State is 26-31 in close games.
- The Shockers have won every game this season (10-0) after recording 15 or more assists.
- Wichita State has won 80 percent of the time this season (8-2) when its three-point percentage has been 37.5 percent or better.
- Wichita State has won 77 percent of the time this season (10-3) after committing 14 or fewer turnovers.
- WSU has won every game this season (10-0) when opponents record 17 or fewer field goals made.
- WSU has won every game this season (11-0) after holding an opponent to under 35.4 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Wichita State has won 83 percent of the time (10-2) when Demetric Williams has 10 points or more, 85 percent of the time (11-2) when Carl Hall has four field goals made or more, and 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Malcolm Armstead has three three-pointers or more.
- The Shockers have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the fifth win of the season where the Shockers came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Malcolm Armstead and Carl Hall) accounted for 45.5 percent of the points.
- Demetric Williams has led the team in rebounding in three out of 27 games this season.
- Malcolm Armstead has three straight double-digit point games.
- Demetric Williams had a career high with seven rebounds.
- Cleanthony Early has three straight double-digit point games.
Illinois State Game Notes
- The Redbirds have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Illinois State is 41-31 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Tyler Brown and Johnny Hill) accounted for 46.2 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jackie Carmichael and Tyler Brown) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Brown has led the team in scoring 10 times in 27 games this season.
- Jackie Carmichael has led the team in rebounding 21 times in 27 games this season.
- Tyler Brown has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Jackie Carmichael has 19 straight double-digit point games.
- Johnny Hill set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.
|D+||Fred Van Vleet||11||3||2||0||1||0||4|