Illinois vs. Northwestern: Full Game Preview
|Illinois||B Paul 16.7||N Egwu 4.7||T Abrams 3.5|
|Northwestern||R Hearn 14.1||J Swopshire 6.7||D Sobolewski 4.1|
On Sunday, Northwestern hosts Illinois at Welsh-Ryan Arena. Tipoff is at 7:30 p.m. EST and you can catch it on Big Ten Network. The Wildcats defeated the Fighting Illini 68-54 on Jan. 17 and are 4-4 against them over the past four years.
Northwestern is in 10th place in the Big Ten, Illinois is in seventh place.
In their last matchup on Feb. 14, Tre Demps put up 16 points for the Wildcats in a loss to Ohio State, 69-59. He is averaging 7.4 points and 1.8 rebounds per game. For the Fighting Illini, Tracy Abrams finished with 13 points and 5 rebounds in the 79-59 blowout of Purdue on Feb. 13. He is averaging 10.8 points per game and leads the team in assists with 3.5 per game.
Reviewing current performance metrics, Illinois has an edge in one significant category, scoring, where the Fighting Illini have the upper hand over the Wildcats, 71 points per game to 63 points per game.
- Northwestern has an average margin of victory of 7 over Illinois in nine wins since 1980.
- Northwestern has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (26 percent vs. 65 percent).
- Northwestern has a much higher 4-year graduation rate than Illinois according to Kiplinger (86.4 percent vs. 64 percent).
- Dave Sobolewski is ranked 4th in the Big Ten in assists.
- The Northwestern rebounding leader (Jared Swopshire, 160 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Illinois rebounding leader (Nnanna Egwu, 122 rebounds).
- Jared Swopshire is ranked 9th in the Big Ten in rebounds.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Northwestern currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (984 to 952) than Illinois, per the NCAA.
- The Northwestern assist leader (Dave Sobolewski, 101 assists) has more assists than the Illinois assist leader (Tracy Abrams, 92 assists).
- Northwestern has a much better NCSA Academic Ranking than Illinois (No. 12 vs. No. 39).
- Boom! Northwestern crushed Illinois by 14 points the last time they played (Jan 17, 2013).
- A for effort, but Northwestern has emerged victorious against Illinois the last two times they've played.
|D||J. Montgomery III||3||1||0||0||0||0||0|