Utah State squared off with New Mexico State on Saturday, Feb. 16 and beat New Mexico State 73-69 in conference action. The season series between the two teams is now tied at 1-1. Utah State were led by Jarred Shaw, who got a game-high 24 points and eight rebounds. Spencer Butterfield had 17 points and added six rebounds. For New Mexico State, Bandja Sy got 12 points and five rebounds. The next game will be on Tuesday, Feb. 19 when Utah State (18-6, 9-5 WAC) travels to Brigham Young (19-8, 9-4 West Coast).
Utah State Game Notes
- Utah State started 18-6 during the 2009, 2007, 2005, 2004, and 2002 seasons (since 1996).
- USU beat the spread by two points. That makes the 9th time this season the Aggies have beaten the spread.
- The Aggies have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Utah State is 26-19 in close games.
- The Aggies have won every game this season (10-0) after recording 73 or more total points.
- Utah State has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) after committing 11 or fewer turnovers.
- USU has won 88 percent of the time this season (7-1) after holding an opponent to under 26.7 percent three-point percentage.
- USU has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) when opponents record four or fewer three-pointers.
- This season Utah State has won 73 percent of the time (11-4) when Jarred Shaw has eight rebounds or more and 100 percent of the time (4-0) when Spencer Butterfield has five assists or more.
- The Aggies have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past eight games.
- Utah State has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past 10 games.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--USU has a 6.1 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jarred Shaw recorded a team season high in field goals attempted with 18.
- Jarred Shaw accounted for 32.8 percent of the team's points.
- Jarred Shaw has led the team in scoring eight times and in rebounding 13 times in 24 games this season.
- Spencer Butterfield has seven straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Jarred Shaw's career.
- Jarred Shaw has six straight double-digit point games.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Ben Clifford.
New Mexico State Game Notes
- The Aggies have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, New Mexico State is 27-25 in close games.
- Sim Bhullar has led the team in rebounding six times in 27 games this season.
- Daniel Mullings has three straight double-digit point games.