On Saturday, Feb. 16, Florida International took on Western Kentucky and defeated the Hilltoppers 87-82 in Sun Belt action. The Golden Panthers tie the season series against Western Kentucky at 1-1 with the win. The Golden Panthers got the win with 20 points and six rebounds (4 Stl 3 Ast) from Tymell Murphy. Malik Smith had 17 points and added four rebounds. T.J. Price finished with a game-high 22 points (6 Ast 3 Reb) for the Hilltoppers, making 6 of 13 from three-point range. Next up for Florida International (14-12, 9-8 Sun Belt) is Arkansas-Little Rock (15-11, 9-6 Sun Belt) on Thursday, Feb. 21 at home.
Florida International Game Notes
- Florida International started 14-12 during the 1999 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- FIU beat the spread by three points. That makes the 10th time this season the Golden Panthers have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Panthers have won eight close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Florida International is 29-36 in close games.
- The Golden Panthers have won every game this season (7-0) after recording 27 or more field goals made.
- This season Florida International has won 89 percent of the time (8-1) when Malik Smith has 17 points or more and 78 percent of the time (7-2) when Deric Hill has four assists or more.
- The Golden Panthers set a season high for free throws made (25).
- The last time FIU recorded at least 25 free throws made was Feb 25, 2012 against South Alabama.
- Florida International has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past seven games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--FIU has a 4.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Tymell Murphy and Jerome Frink) accounted for 45.9 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Tymell Murphy and Jerome Frink) accounted for 45.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Tymell Murphy has led the team in scoring 13 times and in rebounding 12 times in 26 games this season.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Jerome Frink's career.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Tymell Murphy's career.
- Tymell Murphy has 17 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the sixth foul out of the season for Tymell Murphy.
- Tola Akomolafe had career highs with a 100 percent field goal percentage and a 100 percent three-point percentage.
Western Kentucky Game Notes
- The Hilltoppers have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Western Kentucky is 37-30 in close games.
- This loss extended the Hilltoppers losing streak to three games.
- The top two scorers (T.J. Price and Jamal Crook) accounted for 48.7 percent of the points.
- T.J. Price has led the team in scoring 10 times in 27 games this season.
- George Fant has led the team in rebounding nine times in 27 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of T.J. Price's career.
- T.J. Price has three straight double-digit point games.
- T.J. Price set a career high with six three-pointers.