West Virginia squared off with Texas Tech on Saturday, Feb. 16 and held on to beat the Red Raiders 66-64 in conference action. With the win, the Mountaineers remain unbeaten against Texas Tech this season at 2-0. Deniz Kilicli played brilliantly for the Mountaineers and put up a career-high 25 points and eight rebounds. Eron Harris had 15 points. Jaye Crockett recorded a double-double for the Red Raiders with a team-high 18 points and 10 rebounds. Next up for West Virginia (13-12, 6-6 Big 12) is 10th-ranked Kansas State (18-5, 7-3 Big 12) on Monday, Feb. 18 on the road.
West Virginia Game Notes
- West Virginia started 13-12 during the 2002 and 1999 seasons (since 1996).
- The Mountaineers have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, West Virginia is 27-28 in close games.
- West Virginia has won 83 percent of the time this season (5-1) when its field goal percentage has been 48.7 percent or better.
- The Mountaineers have won 80 percent of the time this season (4-1) after recording 24 or more free throws made.
- WVU has won every game this season (9-0) after holding an opponent to under 41.1 percent field goal percentage.
- WVU has won 75 percent of the time this season (9-3) when opponents record 64 or fewer total points.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--WVU has a 5.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Deniz Kilicli recorded a team season high in points with 25, field goals made with nine, and free throws attempted with 14.
- Deniz Kilicli accounted for 37.8 percent of the team's points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (19) than the starters (18).
- Deniz Kilicli has led the team in scoring three times and in rebounding 6 times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Deniz Kilicli's career.
- Deniz Kilicli had career highs with 25 points and nine field goals made.
- Eron Harris has five straight double-digit point games.
Texas Tech Game Notes
- The Red Raiders have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Texas Tech is 17-27 in close games.
- This loss extended the Red Raiders losing streak to six games.
- Josh Gray recorded a team season high in assists with eight.
- The top two scorers (Jaye Crockett and Dusty Hannahs) accounted for 46.8 percent of the points.
- Jaye Crockett accounted for 34.4 percent of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (13) than the starters (12).
- Jaye Crockett has led the team in scoring 12 times and in rebounding 12 times in 23 games this season.
- Jaye Crockett recorded the 12th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Jaye Crockett.
- Jaye Crockett recorded a double-double. It was his seventh this season and 12th of his career.
- Jaye Crockett set a career high with six steals.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Dejan Kravic.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Jordan Tolbert.