Virginia Tech 86
(11-14, 2-7 away)
NC State 90
(18-7, 13-2 home)
Venue: PNC Arena
2:00PM ET / 11:00AM PT, February 16, 2013
||E Green 29
||M Wood 16
||E Green 8
||S Wood 22
||R Howell 16
||L Brown 7
On Saturday, Feb. 16, Virginia Tech took on NC State and lost in front of the home crowd against the Wolfpack 90-86 in overtime. Erick Green got a game-high 29 points in a losing effort. Marshall Wood got a double-double with a season-high 14 points and 16 rebounds. For the Wolfpack, Scott Wood finished with a team-high 22 points (3 Reb 3 Blk), including 6-of-11 shooting from three-point range. The Hokies are on a five-game losing streak. Virginia Tech (11-14, 2-10 ACC) gets second-ranked Duke (22-2, 9-2 ACC) at home on Thursday, Feb. 21.
Virginia Tech Game Notes
- Virginia Tech started 11-14 during the 2002 and 1998 seasons (since 1996).
- VT beat the spread by 11 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Hokies have beaten the spread.
- Virginia Tech has played in four overtime games this season. Over the last five seasons, the Hokies have played in 21 overtime games with a record of 13-8.
- The Hokies have been unlucky six times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Virginia Tech is 33-40 in close games.
- When the opposition records 90 or more total points this season, Virginia Tech has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 38.9 percent or better this season, Virginia Tech has lost 100 percent of the time (0-8).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 47.3 percent or better this season, Virginia Tech has lost 86 percent of the time (1-6).
- VT set a season low for free throws made (five).
- Virginia Tech has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past six games.
- This is the fourth loss of the season where the Hokies opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- Marshall Wood recorded a team season high in rebounds with 16 and defensive rebounds with 14.
- Erick Green tallied a team season high in field goals attempted with 24.
- Erick Green accounted for 33.7 percent of the team's points.
- Marshall Wood accounted for 38.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (23) than the starters (14).
- Erick Green has led the team in scoring in 23 out of 25 games this season.
- Marshall Wood has led the team in rebounding in three out of 25 games this season.
- This marks the 30th 20-point game of Erick Green's career.
- Erick Green has four straight 20+ point games.
- Cadarian Raines had a career high with seven offensive rebounds.
- Marshall Wood recorded the second double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Marshall Wood recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Will Johnston.
- This was the second foul out of the season for Marquis Rankin.
NC State Game Notes
- The Wolfpack won this one, but have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, NC State is 36-23 in close games.
- Scott Wood recorded a team season high in three-pointers with six.
- The top two scorers (Scott Wood and C.J. Leslie) accounted for 42.2 percent of the points.
- Richard Howell accounted for 41.0 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Richard Howell has led the team in rebounding 18 times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the ninth 20-point game of Scott Wood's career.
- Richard Howell recorded the 40th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Richard Howell has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Richard Howell recorded a double-double. It was his 15th this season and 28th of his career.
- C.J. Leslie has seven straight double-digit point games.
|C+||J. van Zegeren||14||2||3||0||0||0||0|