Virginia Military 78
(11-13, 4-9 away)
(11-16, 8-7 home)
Venue: John W. Pope Jr. Convocation Center
2:00PM ET / 11:00AM PT, February 16, 2013
||D Covington 31
||D Covington 15
||G Stephenson 4
||A Ryan 27
||R McCarter 10
||T Freeman 14
On Saturday, Feb. 16, Virginia Military Institute lost in front of the home crowd against Campbell 87-78 in conference play. The loss evens the season series between the two teams at 1-1. D.J. Covington got a career-high 31 points and 15 rebounds for the Keydets, earning a double-double. Tim Marshall had 18 points and added two rebounds. Trey Freeman recorded a double-double for the Fighting Camels with 10 points and 14 assists. This makes three losses in a row for the Keydets. Virginia Military Institute (11-13, 6-6 Big South) gets High Point (13-10, 9-3 Big South) at home on Tuesday, Feb. 19.
Virginia Military Institute Game Notes
- The Keydets have lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-7) after having a field goal percentage of 38.4 percent or worse.
- Virginia Military Institute has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-4) after recording two or fewer blocks.
- When the opposition records 87 or more total points this season, Virginia Military Institute has lost 100 percent of the time (0-6).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 48.3 percent or better this season, Virginia Military Institute has lost 100 percent of the time (0-7).
- When the opposition records four or more blocks this season, Virginia Military Institute has lost 86 percent of the time (1-6).
- VMI set season lows for blocks (two), three-pointers (six), and three-point percentage (18.8).
- Virginia Military Institute has been outshot by their opponents in three-point percentage for the past six games.
- D.J. Covington recorded a team season high in field goals made with 14.
- D.J. Covington accounted for 39.7 percent of the team's points.
- D.J. Covington accounted for 36.5 percent of the team's rebounds.
- D.J. Covington has led the team in scoring five times and in rebounding 10 times in 24 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of D.J. Covington's career.
- D.J. Covington has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the third foul out of the season for D.J. Covington.
- D.J. Covington recorded a double-double. It was his sixth this season and eighth of his career.
- D.J. Covington had career highs with 31 points, 14 field goals made, 15 rebounds, and four steals.
Campbell Game Notes
- Trey Freeman recorded a team season high in assists with 14.
- Andrew Ryan accounted for 31.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Reco McCarter and Marvelle Harris) accounted for 45.2 percent of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (19) than the starters (18).
- The bench recorded more points (60) than the starters (27).
- Reco McCarter has led the team in rebounding three times in 27 games this season.
- This game was the third double-digit assist game of Trey Freeman's career.
- Trey Freeman has three straight double-digit point games.
- Trey Freeman recorded a double-double. It was his second this season and third of his career.
- Trey Freeman set career highs with a 100 percent three-point percentage and 14 assists.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Andrew Ryan's career.
- Andrew Ryan set career highs with 27 points, nine field goals made, and three three-pointers.
- Reco McCarter recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Reco McCarter recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.