The 2013 NBA Celebrity All-Star game will commence the weekend’s festivities in Houston. Here is a look at the roster for tonight as detailed on NBA.com:
- Kevin Hart ("Real Husbands of Hollywood")
- Ne-Yo (R&B/pop)
- Nick Cannon ("Real Husbands of Hollywood")
- Josh Hutcherson (The Hunger Games)
- Trey Songz (R&B Singer/Actor)
- Usain Bolt (Olympic gold medal sprinter)
- Arne Duncan (Secretary of Education)
- Terrence Jenkins ("E! News," Anchor)
- Common (Rapper/Actor)
- John Schriffen (ABC News Correspondent)
- Ryen Russillo (ESPN Host); NBA Legends
- Dikembe Mutombo (eight-time NBA All-Star)
- Clyde Drexler (ten-time NBA All-Star)
- Sean Elliott (two-time NBA All-Star)
- Bruce Bowen (NBA legend)
- Tamika Catchings (Indiana Fever)
- Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx)
While the late 2000’s have been dominated by Terrell Owens in the celebrity game, there is a fierce new All-Star in town named Usain Bolt. He has just as much confidence as T.O. but with even more athletic ability. Words of consideration: don’t make a drinking game to the amount of fast breaks Bolt gets, there are sure to be one too many.
Kevin Hart is the reigning 2012 NBA All-Star Celebrity Game MVP even after being ejected from the game. His antics are more entertaining than his game; so do not expect anything different from Hart. He is there to provide laughs.
In comparing pretty boys, Josh Hutcherson could show up the 2011 MVP All-Star Justin Bieber. Even though Biebs only shot 3-11, he had great tenacity. East head coach Bill Simmons said, "He kept coming back. He wasn't afraid."
Even though Hutcherson appeared as a leading actor in The Hunger Games, it was his co-star Jennifer Lawrence (playing Katniss Everdeen) that wore the pants in the onscreen relationship, saving his life multiple times. Hopefully Hutcherson does not stay true to character tonight.
The real NBA veterans (Dikembe Mutombo, Clyde Drexler, Sean Elliot) will be expected to play like years past, making some good shots but they will not have as much power and speed as the young ones.
Tamika Catchings is making her third trip to the celebrity game and will be joined with more girl power with powerhouse Maya Moore. Moore is 6'0'' and averages 16.6 PPG. Moore fell to Catchings and her team in WNBA finals in 2012, so they have some unresolved business to take care off. Expect more energy from the women tonight.